Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless meat thermometers FYI

Options
Tinyfish
Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
This was shared on another forum. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom

This wireless meat probe looks so interesting that I went in on the four probes with the block.  I like the concept of one wireless probe being able to read the meat and pit temp.  I figure with the four probes I have extras and I like the fact that the block is Wifi.

I'm not that familiar with the Kickstart program but its new idea/companys looking for funding and if they reach their funding goals they give you their product at a discount.   No funds are paid unless the money goal is reached. 

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Very cool idea, seems like a lot to ask for from such a small device and having all those small components in the heat.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Good idea, but I'm with @feef706 - I always worry about my probes doing hot direct cooks for my Stoker.  My old Maverick would often get flakey above 375F, too.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Very cool idea, seems like a lot to ask for from such a small device and having all those small components in the heat.

I would think the electronics wouldn't last long inside a 600 degree grill. And the Bluetooth LE range inside a closed metal grill can't be great, so you'd need the bridge, which will need to be hooked up to your home wifi. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    I am only planning on using this for low and slow and rotisserie chicken. Max pit temp would be 400f. The part of the probe in the meat is protected by the meat and the part of the probe in the pit is protected by the black ceramic piece. 

If the idea pans out great if not good bye money.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited October 2015
    Options

@tinyfish sorry I'm not trying to be a killjoy! I think a lot of stuff on kickstarter is pretty cool.  if the thermometer works it'll be great.  certainly a neat design and I really like that it has the ambient thermometer on the end. 

(now about that 3d printer I've been eyeing on kickstarter...)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiko3d/tiko-the-unibody-3d-printer

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Looks really interesting.  The combination of Bluetooth with a wi-fi hub could solve a big Bluetooth issue.  Will look forward to a review from @Tinyfishif this makes it to production.  The developers seem to have far exceeded their fundraising goal so far.
    New Orleans LA
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Are there any batteries in the probes that may be negatively impacted by heat?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• littlerascal56
    Options
    That's exactly what I was wondering?  Batteries in those probes surely can't handle the extreme heat of the ceramic cookers?
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    I would guess the battery is in the part of the probe thats in the meat.  The highest temp the battery will see is a brisket cook.  The battery is probably the biggest hurdle to cross.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Holy smokes!  That is awesome!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    That's exactly what I was wondering?  Batteries in those probes surely can't handle the extreme heat of the ceramic cookers?
    The batteries are near the tip of the probe and thus won't be exposed to really high temps (unless you cook your butts until they're cinders :)).

The external part of the probes are safe up to a bit over 500°F.

Obviously they are not intended for really high cooks but they are useful over a range that will likely satisfy most users for many of their cooks.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    very interesting.  I see that the wifi only comes with the larger block. I like the built-in charger. Wonder what the run time is on the temp probe battery.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    very interesting.  I see that the wifi only comes with the larger block. I like the built-in charger. Wonder what the run time is on the temp probe battery.
    They say it will run 48 hours-ish per charge.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk