Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got a link to the underbite solution from the Mothership?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Seems like within the passed month someone posted the full text from BGE on how to cure an underbite/overbite in a step by step manner. I've used the search mode and can't seem to find that post though there are dozens and dozens since it seems to be such a common problem of late. I'm trying to help a chap with an XL to cure his egg's bad attitude!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @RRP Ron, what my dealer told me to do, with the lid open, remove the back springs(I just took the bolts off the brackets), close the lid, loosen the nuts at the back of the band where they attach.  Pull the dome forward or push back into place so they look even.  Tighten the nuts back up, open the lid up, reattach the springs and you should be good to go for a while.  Not at home or could send you photos of what nuts I am talking about, but it would be the ones attached to the hinge system.  I hope this helps.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    @RRP Ron, what my dealer told me to do, with the lid open, remove the back springs(I just took the bolts off the brackets), close the lid, loosen the nuts at the back of the band where they attach.  Pull the dome forward or push back into place so they look even.  Tighten the nuts back up, open the lid up, reattach the springs and you should be good to go for a while.  Not at home or could send you photos of what nuts I am talking about, but it would be the ones attached to the hinge system.  I hope this helps.
    Yup, that is exactly what I did when I replaced my bands and it worked just fine.  We've been aligned properly for five or six months now :)

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ivanhoe said:
    That was a great post...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Yup, that is exactly what I did when I replaced my bands and it worked just fine.  We've been aligned properly for five or six months now :)

I did this as well but had to tighten up again when the Egg was warm....otherwise my bolts lossened and then my lower band would fall down in back and underbite was back. Nothing but smooth sailing since I figured this out.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    This may not be what you were looking for but I recently had the underbite issue, and what follows is the thread I posted which explains in detail how BGE-HQ walked me through the process. It was really rather simple instructions.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186222/just-had-new-egg-delivered-have-a-question-lid-doesnt-seem-centered#latest
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options

On my large if you use the plastic spacers provided the bands will be closer together then they are where the hinge area is. The hinge is a non adjustable as to distance the bands are apart due to the way it is built. What you can do is adjust the up and down location of the bands on the ceramic top and bottom at the hinge area first and then adjust the whole thing.

First I removed the springs to release tension on the hinge, then I measured the distance between the bands at the back hinge area and adjusted the height to be equal amount of ceramic showing between the top and bottom using a dial caliper. I then measured the distance between the two bands at the hinge location and proceeded to then adjust the bands all the way around the top and bottom to match the measurement using the dial calipers and making sure it was equal amount of ceramic showing between the rings.

Another problem with the fitting is the bolts and bolt holes in the hinge are not a precise fit so their is a lot of slop in them causing the hinge to move around some, while the springs keep tension on the whole assembly reducing the noticeable slop it does add somewhat to the overall mismatch.