Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody want to share their pizza dough recipes using 00 flour?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
I finally bought some Napoli brand 00 flour which I want to use for making just one pizza this Saturday. Care to share your dough recipe?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    I use the one on their site, had good luck with it, I think it helps to weigh, not measure.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• RRP
    Options
    all I'm finding on their site is the one using 55 pounds of flour. I was leaning toward a more modest 1 pizza recipe. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RRP said:
    all I'm finding on their site is the one using 55 pounds of flour. I was leaning toward a more modest 1 pizza recipe. 
    Hope you are Hungary. Don't think the xx will hold it though. :o
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Earshots said:
    This is the one I use, as well.  I half the amounts to make one pie, though.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

This is what I use, from Forno Bravo

By Weight:

500 grams 00 Flour

325 grams water (for a 65% hydration)

10 grams salt

3 grams dry active yeast

In a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix all ingredients on low for 2 minutes till you form a ball. Rest 10 minutes. Mix at medium (3 or 4 on a kitchen aid mixer) for 5 more minutes, then turn to low for 2 minutes.

Shape dough into ball and put in covered bowl for about 2 hours till doubles in size. Turn out onto work surface and knead slightly, then weigh and break into 3 equal dough balls, and form into tight balls, set seam side down on a tray and cover tightly with plastic wrap

Rest in fridge (preferably overnight) then remove and let warm up for an hour before forming into pizzas.

Enjoy !!!

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks all - but unless I missed it everywhere I saw no suggestion about temperature and approximate time. Any other baking hints of what to look out for would be appreciated since I am under the impression this dough needs higher heat than say the 450 my other doughs call for plus being thin the 00 might burn easier on the bottom. One last thing - typically I load my pizzas with 3 or 4 cheeses, 2 meats, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and black olives will this crust hold up to that type of weight since I still want thin crust? 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great question looking forward to what others say. I've used the forno bravo recipe and subbed it for the usual dough I make with AP. I felt it handled very similarly. I made fairly thin crust pizzas.

I haven't made a cast iron pizza with 00 - not sure there's any point!

what was your old dough recipe?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Earshots said:
    I use this one also.  Very heat tolerant dough.
    Options
    TTC said:

This is what I use, from Forno Bravo

By Weight:

500 grams 00 Flour

325 grams water (for a 65% hydration)

10 grams salt

3 grams dry active yeast

In a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix all ingredients on low for 2 minutes till you form a ball. Rest 10 minutes. Mix at medium (3 or 4 on a kitchen aid mixer) for 5 more minutes, then turn to low for 2 minutes.

Shape dough into ball and put in covered bowl for about 2 hours till doubles in size. Turn out onto work surface and knead slightly, then weigh and break into 3 equal dough balls, and form into tight balls, set seam side down on a tray and cover tightly with plastic wrap

Rest in fridge (preferably overnight) then remove and let warm up for an hour before forming into pizzas.

Enjoy !!!

While I never used 00 flour, this is pretty close to what I use when using a high protein flour. My hydration is 65.6%; the difference may be the flour. For a same day cook or next day cook I will bump up the ADY. If someone is making dough mid-week for a weekend cook, then 0.5% is in line. I do mix my dough a little longer to get it tougher and chewy. The only real way to make repeatable dough, is to weigh the ingredients and keep notes when small changes are done.

I have been criticized over and over because members want my recipe.  It's not a simple as the amount of ingredients. Substituting one brand of flour to another will yield different results. The same goes for the yeast. The mix time will alter things. The type of mixer and speed will affect the dough.  The time you let it rest will have an affect. One of the keys is to use the same brand of ingredients to eliminate differences. Even doing every thing by the book; the outcome will vary. But the final outcome will be so close that its insignificant.

@TTC has posted a very doable pizza dough recipe.  

• RRP
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Earshots said:
    Is the term "heat tolerant" reciprocate with "cooler" baking temperatures? I mean does 00 require a higher temperature to bake or does it go either way? I'm getting the impression it can be used either way, but thought I'd ask the experts! Game on, boys! 
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    I have a Blackstone pizza oven and use the Forno Bravo recipe. I always make a double batch by weight and use a stand mixer. Using the dough hook I mix it for two minutes, rest it for 10 and then mix again for 10 at pos 3. It makes 6-275 gram balls. I let is sit in the fridge overnight and the ball it up the next day and let it sit in the fridge for 3 to four days. About an hour before using it I take it out of the fridge and before shaping I drop it into a bowl of flour on both sides. It is a very nice dough that can be frozen after balling up and used at a later date. I usually heat the Blackstone to 800 degrees and cook for about two minutes. I have never had a burnt bottom crust yet. I could never do that with AP flour.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

RRP said:
    mahenryak said:
    Earshots said:
    Is the term "heat tolerant" reciprocate with "cooler" baking temperatures? I mean does 00 require a higher temperature to bake or does it go either way? I'm getting the impression it can be used either way, but thought I'd ask the experts! Game on, boys! 

I also use this one and I get many compliments. I typically run around 650°F to 700°F for 3 - 4 minutes.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    mahenryak said:
    Earshots said:
    Ron, it just means that it can take a lot more heat than low gluten flour (especially if there's oil or sugar in it). It'll still cook at the lower temperatures, I've cooked at 450F and the results are fine.
    Options
    Oh boy...I think I'm glad already that I only bought a couple pounds of 00. My idea - whether it fits with the rest of you here or not is a loaded pizza with thin crust. When my wife or I reach a ballooned edge of crust with nothing on it then the rest goes in the trash. Guess I should have researched the benefit of 00 better. Sorry...but here's a picture of my typical loaded pizza with a thin crust at that! What did I used to say when I served mine for years? Oh yes... "loaded wall to wall and tree top tall"

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh boy...I think I'm glad already that I only bought a couple pounds of 00. My idea - whether it fits with the rest of you here or not is a loaded pizza with thin crust. When my wife or I reach a ballooned edge of crust with nothing on it then the rest goes in the trash. Guess I should have researched the benefit of 00 better. Sorry...but here's a picture of my typical loaded pizza with a thin crust at that! What did I used to say when I served mine for years? Oh yes... "loaded wall to wall and tree top tall"

I don't know, Ron.  We load our pizzas up too and I don't think our crust is all that thick using the 00 dough.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  I hope so, anyway.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• RRP
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mahenryak said:

I don't know, Ron.  We load our pizzas up too and I don't think our crust is all that thick using the 00 dough.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  I hope so, anyway.
    Thanks - I got it so I'll try it! No reason to hoard 2 pounds in the pantry! =)
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    We all have different tastes. I have found a good pizza never has more that 4 ingredients and a proper crust made with brewers yeast, properly aged and brushed with a good finishing oil can be the best part of the pizza. Soft and chewey like a good pretzel. I saw a couple in a restaurant eating pizza with a knife and fork once it took me by suprise for sure. Just remember there are no bad pizzas! 
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Like others here I use the fornobravo recipe, 6-650 deg, high In dome on adjustable rig extender, approx 6-7 minutes, pizza sits on 13" oval stone with a 15" stone below the extender. I would halve the recipe for one pizza but it will be fairly large. I usually get 3 dough balls with the full recipe. 
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @RRP, I've only used the '00' a few times. The first time I only cooked at about 500° if I remember right. The crust was almost cracker like and very sturdy. I think you'll be fine if you load it up. I would definitely use parchment paper for the transfer if you load it up. Also, let it set up good prior to pulling the parchment paper to avoid a mess. Good luck. Let us know how the results turnout. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I use this one. Makes 3 pies. I leave it ferment in bulk and then split it up into containers. It freezes well. Made this one last night!

Using Antico Molino Caputo Tipo 00 Pizza Flour

Use Caputo Tipo 00 flour the same way you would use either general purpose, or bread flour, though you will see a number of differences in how it behaves compared with American flours.

It hydrates very well. You will find yourself adding more water to your dough than you are accustomed. You want to make a moist, almost sticky dough. You can use flour to keep it from sticking to your hands or your work surface.

It is very silky and soft. You can make great pizza dough without adding olive oil. Experiment with added olive oil, but definitely try it without. If you are used to throwing your pizzas, you will see that the dough needs gentle handling.

It is very extensible. The flour is selected and milled to be easily shaped into a pizza base. You should not over work the dough. It will spring in the oven. The soft, well-hydrated, extensible dough will puff around the outside rim of the pizza where you do not have sauce.

And the taste is great.

Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe

Ingredients

By Volume 

• 4 cups Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour

• 1 ½ cups, plus 2-3 Tbs water

• 2 tsp salt

• 1/2 tsp dry active yeast

By Weight

• 500gr Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour

• 325 gr water (65% hydration) 

• 10 gr salt

• 3 gr dry active yeast

We highly recommend cooking by weight. It is fast, and easy to get the exact hydration (water to flour ratio) and dough ball size you want. Personally, I do not use recipes or a mixing cup when I cook dinner for the family, but pizza and bread dough are different. Being exact counts, and nothing works better than a digital scale.

Mix the dough in a stand mixer, by hand or in a bread machine. If you are using a stand mixer, mix it slowly for two minutes, until you have made a ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, to allow the flour to absorb the water. Then, mix at a middle speed (3 or 4 on a KitchenAid) for 5 minutes, and slow for 2 minutes.

Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a slightly oiled bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until double. Punch it down and push out the air bubbles. Form the dough into a large ball, then cut it into 4-5 equal pieces.

To make your pizza balls, shape each piece of dough into a ball. Gently shape your dough into a ball, then stretch the top of the ball down and around the rest of the ball, until the outer layer wraps around the other side. Pinch the two ends together to make a smooth ball with a tight outer "skin." Set your ball seam-side down where it can rest. Dust your pizza balls with flour, and store them under a damp towel, in a proofing tray, or under plastic wrap. This will prevent the outside of the ball from drying out and creating a crust, and becoming difficult to work with. The top of the pizza ball should be soft and silky.

Your pizza balls will need to rest for about an hour to become soft and elastic, so that they can be easily stretched into a thin crust pizza.

If you don't need your pizza balls for a few hours, you should refrigerate them, and bring them back out of the refrigerator an hour or so before you want to use them.

Try making your pizza balls the day before you need them. Overnight refrigeration helps the dough develop more flavor, and a fully developed dough browns better in your oven.

Using Caputo Tipo 00 Pizzeria Flour. Copyright 2011.
     v1.1
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Ron, after many years of searching for that elusive perfect pizza dough I finally found it in the book The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani. I use Caputo 00 flour and I do a 3-4 day cold ferment. I found that 550 temp on my egg is the sweet spot for this dough. Anything below and you don't get that nice char on the crust, anything above and the bottom has a tendency to burn. Here are some of my recent pizzas. The dough recipe follows the pictures.

Good luck on your pizza perfection journey 

Master Dough with Starter

EPICURIOUS | OCTOBER 2014

BY TONY GEMIGNANI THE PIZZA BIBLE

Ingredients

• 2.2 grams (3/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
    • 70 grams (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) warm water (80°F to 85°F)
    • 453 grams flour (3 1/2 cups) with 13 to 14 percent protein, preferably All Trumps, Pendleton Flour Mills Power, Giusto's High Performer, King Arthur Sir Lancelot Unbleached Hi-Gluten, or Tony's California Artisan Flour
    • 10 grams (1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon) diastatic malt
    • 210 grams (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) ice water, plus more as needed
    • 90 grams Poolish or Tiga
    • 10 grams (2 teaspoons) fine sea salt
    • 5 grams (1 teaspoon) extra virgin olive oil

Preparation

Put the yeast in a small bowl, add the warm water, and whisk vigorously for 30 seconds. The yeast should dissolve in the water and the mixture should foam. If it doesn't and the yeast granules float, the yeast is "dead" and should be discarded. Begin again with a fresh amount of yeast and water. 

Combine the flour and malt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.

With the mixer running on the lowest speed, pour in most of the icewater, reserving about 2 tablespoons, followed by the yeast-water mixture. Pour the reserved water into the yeast bowl, swirl it around to dislodge any bits of yeast stuck to the bowl, and add to the mixer. Mix for about 15 seconds, stop the mixer, and add the poolish or tiga.

Continue to mix the dough at the lowest speed for about 1 minute, until most of the dough comes together around the hook. Stop the mixer. Use your fingers to pull away any dough clinging to the hook, and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a bowl scraper or rubber spatula. Check the bottom of the bowl for any unincorporated flour. Turn the dough over and press it into the bottom of the bowl to pick up any stray pieces. If the dough isn't holding together, add small amounts of water (about 1/2 teaspoon to start) and mix until the dough is no longer dry and holds together.

Add the salt and mix on the lowest speed for 1 minute to combine.

Stop the mixer, pull the dough off the hook, and add the oil. Mix the dough for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping the mixer from time to time to pull the dough off the hook and scrape down the sides of the bowl, until all of the oil is absorbed. The dough won't look completely smooth.

Use a bowl scraper to transfer the dough to an unfloured work surface, then knead it for 2 to 3 minutes, until smooth. Cover the dough with a damp dish towel and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Use the dough cutter to loosen the dough and to cut it in half. Weigh the dough, adjusting the quantity as necessary to give you two 13-ounce pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Any remaining dough can be discarded.

Form the dough into balls. Set the balls on a half sheet pan, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Or, if you will be baking the balls on different days, place each ball on a quarter sheet pan. Wrap the pan(s) airtight with a double layer of plastic wrap, sealing the wrap well under the pan(s). Put the pan(s) in a level spot in the refrigerator and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.

Source Information
    The Pizza Bible

Reprinted from The Pizza Bible: The World's Favorite Pizza Styles, from Neapolitan, Deep-Dish, Wood-Fired, Sicilian, Calzones and Focaccia to New York, New Haven, Detroit, and more, by Tony Gemignani, Copyright © 2014, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House LLC.

Tony Gemignani has not only been making pizzas for over 20 years, but he is also the chef and owner of eight restaurants and the US Ambassador of Neapolitan Pizza to the city of Naples, Italy. Tony is the proprietor of the International School of Pizza in San Francisco, where he certifies chefs from around the world. Visit him at tonygemignani.com.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    that **** sucks ass, you're lucky you only wasted your money on 2lbs.  Makes a pie that 'looks' the part but that's about it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited September 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks all - but unless I missed it everywhere I saw no suggestion about temperature and approximate time. Any other baking hints of what to look out for would be appreciated since I am under the impression this dough needs higher heat than say the 450 my other doughs call for plus being thin the 00 might burn easier on the bottom. One last thing - typically I load my pizzas with 3 or 4 cheeses, 2 meats, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and black olives will this crust hold up to that type of weight since I still want thin crust? 
    Ron,  The Forno Bravo recipe works well at higher temps.  00 flour takes high heat well, in fact it does not brown well at lower temps. Cooked at lower temps it will often over cook before it browns, leading to a drier cracker like crust.  A 65% hydration with 00 flour dough is best for thinner crusts cooked at higher temps - 700º+.  Caputo says that their "Napoli" brand is designed for temps over 700º. They mill other blends for pizza cooked at lower temps.

Yes it sounds like you may be overloading the toppings for this dough.  Try to slim it down a bit.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Throwing out the crust? Man o man. 

If a person likes great bread, why would they throw out the best part of the dough? 

kids these days....  
    Like trimming dry aged beef or skinless chicken. Booooo. Hisssss. ;)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I prefer the KISS method. The first time I used 00 flour, I weighed it out at 5 1/2 ounces per cup, which yielded a perfect 1 cup dry measuring cup. For my bread machine set on the dough setting, I use 3 cups 00 flour, 1 cup filtered water, 1 teaspoon Himalayan fine grind salt and 2 1/2 teaspoons SAF yeast. This will yield two 14 inch pizzas. You could also add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and/or 1 tablespoon of honey. I don't add the oil or honey. This is a recipe from Wolfgang Puck and I think he knows a thing or two about pizza. I refrigerate the dough at least 24 hours or longer. I get my pizza oven up to 500 degrees and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. I load mine up like you do yours and it is very sturdy. I roll mine using a "gasp" marble rolling pin since we like ours really thin. I do sauce, a layer of cheese, 1/2 pound ground beef, assorted items like pepperoni, bell peppers, black olives, and mushrooms, and then another layer of cheese. I know that "less toppings" are supposed to be optimal for an artisan pizza, but that is not how we roll. Turns out great. Just a suggestion, Ron, but why not use your favorite dough recipe and simply substitute the 00 for your regular flour? I think it will be fine and you will be able to tell if you need more water since you have something familiar to compare it to.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:

Don't worry Ron, it's great for roux and dredging stew meat. I buy pizza flour from the Bomba distributor and it's a blend of both all purpose and double ought.

Steve 

Caledon, ON