Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What else can you cook on a stick?

gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
I know, not directly egg related but we often have campfires on long weekend and the boys do hot dogs on a stick, marshmallows etc. I am wanting something else a bit more grown up. Any ideas for something else that can be done over the fire?
Thanks. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• We do Bannock, it is done usually with a flour dough mixture, but the frozen Pillsbury Dough in a tube works as well and is easy.  Cut long strips of dough about 1/2" thick and wrap it around a roasting stick (branch with cleaned end) and bake it on the fire, it puffs up and browns nicely, then rub softened butter on it and cinnamon sugar, its a great treat!
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Try some satay or yakitori.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    whole trout, head on. (Ewww, gross...)
  • gmac
    Will have to look up something for satay. Like the Pilsbury dough idea just for easy. No trout on hand unfortunately. Thx
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    All kinds of kebabs could be done over a fire, and you have a whole world of different styles to choose from, Turkish kebabs, Russian shashlik, Korean, you name it.

Plus, you might want to look at Seven Fires by Francis Mallman.  He also has another book out, I think.  He is a world-famous Argentinian chef who cooks on open wood fires, and and the book is amazing and inspiring.  He cooks anything in the world over an open fire.

Fire -- it's not just for hot dogs anymore...  :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Love campfire food! Been way too long. Just do a google image search for campfire cooking on a stick. Here are a few...

Rotisserie chicken (doesn't have to be continuously turned, but don't forget about it).

Squirrel =) Or you could spatch a chicken like this...

Also, as Theophan mentioned, google image Mallmann Seven Fires. Lotsa cool ideas.

Here's Symon's indoor take...
    http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/chicken-on-a-string-michael-symon

Have fun!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Or, you could really get adventurous... Here's Mallmann himself (love his stuff!)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    smoking meat.com  Smoked Pork Butt on a stick
  • gmac
    Tried the Pilsbury dough. Not great. Hard to get the heat right so it cooked through without burning on the outside. But it was ok once I sort of got the distance figured out. Brushed it with butter and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on it and the kids didn't seem to complain. 

I have seen Mallmann's Chef's Table on Netflix and the One where he is on Mind of a Chef. Interesting but I would need a better event to go through all that work. Tonight was just fun with the kids and a few beers. Maybe a whole lamb next weekend. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I've gone for the weekend on many occasions and only taken these as cooking devices.

I use the square one for Savory - stuffed sandwiches, calzones etc.  I use the round one for sweet - pies etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Rome-Industries-1705-Sandwich-Cooker/dp/B000FNLXWG/ref=pd_bxgy_468_text_z
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2015

btw - If you have a way to get your hands on some, old fencing swords work terrific as fire sticks that will last forever.

Phoenix 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    My buddy and I used to sit around a fire drinking whiskey until we were beyond stupid but he would always have a bowl of cubed up stew meat marinating in Italian dressing.  Slap that on a stick cook till you think it's ready and then eat.  It was always good.  But after a 5th or so of Jameson anything is good.