Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oh my god!!! Home made, home smoked bacon!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Back in June at the 14th annual Peoria, IL Eggfest two characters from Iowa and I traded some gaskets for some kick butt bacon. On this forum you may know @Focker...but I doubt if you know Glitter Butt. Well anyway Brandon and Stacci traded me 2# of their TERRIFIC bacon. Tonight with their direction I baked 6 strips for some wonderful BLTs. Pat and I are forever ruined! but we still have 1.5# to savor before we have to go cold turkey and hostile back to commercially cured and smoked bacon. THANKS Focker and Glitter Butt!!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    That looks delicious. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    What stops you from making some yourself?

Options
    paqman said:
    What stops you from making some yourself?
    Nothing other than they buy the bellies fresh from a Berkshire farmer there in IA. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When you find your dream hog belly you might try hi mountain.  Been using it on butts,loins and bellies for years.  Currently have 20-25 lbs of bellies on order from my belly man--the local custom butcher. I prefer bellies.

http://www.basspro.com/Hi-Mountain-Buckboard-Bacon-Cure/product/10216529/

You can order online for $6.99 or go to a Bass Pro shop for the same $$ and save shipping.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    When you find your dream hog belly you might try hi mountain.  Been using it on butts,loins and bellies for years.  Currently have 20-25 lbs of bellies on order from my belly man--the local custom butcher. I prefer bellies.

You can order online for $6.99 or go to a Bass Pro shop for the same $$ and save shipping.

I was was reading some of the comments on the buckboard bacon, interesting.  Some used it on pork butt, pork bellys, and brisket.  Now I'm wondering how to do a brisket and how it would turn out without being tough? :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:

I was was reading some of the comments on the buckboard bacon, interesting.  Some used it on pork butt, pork bellys, and brisket.  Now I'm wondering how to do a brisket and how it would turn out without being tough? :relaxed: 
    Why not email hi mountain and ask them.  Maybe they have a different product for beef.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Glad you and Pat liked it.

The families at Berkwood Farms put out a top notch product.  Hope you saved the rendered goodness in the drip pan.  Even their lard, melts in your hand.  Saw Sean Brock do something similar with an Ossabaw.  Have a bunch of it in the freezer hoping to grind my first deer with. ;)

Like pizza, commercially cured and smoked bacon, is still bacon. =)

Thanks again my friend for the gaskets. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Options
    Focker said:

The families at Berkwood Farms put out a top notch product.  Hope you saved the rendered goodness in the drip pan.  Even their lard, melts in your hand.  Saw Sean Brock do something similar with an Ossabaw.  Have a bunch of it in the freezer hoping to grind my first deer with. ;)

We didn't just like it - WE LOVED IT!!! Please pass this along to GB! LOL
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

We didn't just like it - WE LOVED IT!!! Please pass this along to GB! LOL
    Will do bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited September 2015
    Options

mahenryak said:
    Kind of.  If you click on the Difference tab, you can purchase a belly, cure, and smoke at home.  Beautiful stuff.
    Getting a belly, loin, and some free schwag this week!

We served 1000 lbs of that bacon and jowl for about 15.000 at the mecca of Baconfests in Des Moines.  People were taking plates full home with the remainder we had before loading up.  Not one single complaint.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    What is this "home made bacon", and why are we just hearing about it now?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    Options
    What is this "home made bacon", and why are we just hearing about it now?
    It's a frat thing...
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    ^^^Thank you @Focker ^^
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Their recipe must have been better than mine - it tasted like ham and left me wondering why anyone makes their own bacon  Maybe I will try it again with a different recipe.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If you want something similar to what you buy in the store, you'll need to cure it with a sweet pickle cure. The dry cured bacon most of us make is the traditional non-commercial method
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]