Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How can I get fried-like crispy wings?

Options
I love wings on the egg but really like the super crispy texture of friend wings. What's your best method of getting crispy wings?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Tempetature over 400F for at least a part of the cook and a rub that contains sugar.  Dizzy Pig works every time. 

Options
    I have heard some crazy peeps will smoke them then fry them.  That should do it!  There is a BBQ joint not too far from me that does them this way and they are darn good.  

If you don't want to mess with frying, my preference is a little corn starch in the rub, get them raised high in the dome indirect and good at 400+.  

I am not crazy about my BGE 3 tier- rack, but this is one thing it is good for.  On the top tier with the plate setter they are nice and high and get really crispy.  

One other thing I have found is not all wings are the same.  If you start with raw wings and the skin is super saggy like it was an old lady chicken then they will never get there :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    3 parts rub to 1 part cornstarch.  Try to cook at least 400.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @cazzy okay stupid question, but just dry rub and corn starch? Any liquid or sauce?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Rinse then dry really good then put on cookie cooling tray in fridge for at least 6 hours. I got a 3 level cookie cooling tray from BB&B that works great. This helps to pre dry the skin. Then go buy a weber and set it up for 2 zone cooking and start on the hot side flipping every couple minutes to get a nice char then move to indirect side to finish. The egg isn't the best way to cook wings.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I actually got the tip on this forum- get your dry rub mix together and then add BAKING POWDER, NOT BAKING SODA to the mixture.  amount doesn't have to be crazy but the chicken wings should be coated pretty well with the stuff- toss them in a bowl.  and, before you put them in the bowl, make sure that they are really dry on the surface, otherwise you'll have a gummy mess.

bake indirect for 30 minutes or so at a temp of at least 400F and not above 500F and your wings will be golden, crispy and better than anything that came out of a fryer.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @cazzy okay stupid question, but just dry rub and corn starch? Any liquid or sauce?
    Yep...just the rub and cs.  You can toss in sauce after, but do it right before service so they don't get soggy.  The cs will give it crispy breaded texture.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    All off this, raised direct...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    The cornstarch method is seems to work great but I have not had a chance to try it yet. I can tell you that you can not go wrong with smoking wings at 225* for an hour and 1/2 -- then placing them on a platter beside the BGE while you remove the platesetter and open up the vents for about 7/10 minutes.....then add the wings meaty side down, direct for about 3/5 minutes. They will be crispy on the outside and pall off the bone on the inside. Good luck! Let us know what you try and how it works.....
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Philly35
    Options
    I cook at 375-400 indirect with mccormicks chicken rub and they get crispy. 
    NW IOWA
  • bboulier
    Options
    If you let them dry for several hours on a rack in the fridge and cook indirect, they usually turn out pretty crispy.  I have never had much luck with cornstarch.  @Lit I agree that the Weber is a very good alternative to the BGE.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The last ones I did were intended to be done on Fri night so they got rubbed with Swamp Venom and cornstarch Fri afternoon. Plans changed so they got put in sealed Tupperware until Sunday for supper.  I cooked @250° indirect for 2 1/2 hrs then sauced and back on the egg to set the sauce.  Before saucing the you could here the skin break when stuck with the TP.  Still had a good bite after saucing.  I generally don't do anything but rub with a mix of cornstarch & rub then cook at about 400-450 indirect.  Still has great skin. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    When I want mine crispy like deep-fried, I use my deep fryer.
    When I want them grilled, I use the BGE.
    When I'm being lazy, I use the oven, then switch to broil for the last few minutes.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I fry them if I want them fried, I don't think the grill can truly compare.  My second option is using a Weber kettle.  The indirect, and extra convection of a larger fire than an egg I think does well to crisp up the skin better.

Hard to beat frying them tho ..
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Slow smoke 2hrs, then fry at 350 1 min, is by far, the best.
    Two-zone on the kettle would be second, like The Lituation recommended.
    Door prop mod 300 indirect on the WSM third.
    Have tried so hard, like pizza, to make the egg a wing cooking machine.  It's not, no matter how hard you try to cut your wings with corn starch or baking powder.

Have been contemplating an Auspit Spitmate to tumble dry some wings on the kettle. 
    http://www.auspitbbq.com/accessories.html#spitmate Problem is, my boyz(4,8,9) would rather kill some drummies.  And quite truthfully, I think the dark meat is much better in flavor, quantity, and cost per lb.  Smart boyz.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."