Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bison Airlighter Arrived

Options
My Bison Airlighter arrived today. First time using it went well. I think I'm gonna like this thing. No cords and fast lighting. Will be great when traveling with the MM. Here's some pics with time lines. 

7:50 PM

7:51 PM

7:53 PM

7:56 PM

8:09 PM

I'm sure the more I use it, the more proficient I'll get using it to light fires. Either way, I'm pleased with the results. Time will tell as far as durability goes. 
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice.  Looking forward to further updates as you use it more.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    did you have any issues filling the tank?  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to fill the tank it spews all over the place....lol
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    msloan said:
    did you have any issues filling the tank?  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to fill the tank it spews all over the place....lol
    The instructions state that it's full when it starts spitting. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    yeh i saw that too.....but in my case it starts spewing immediately, which led me to believe "ah it must fill quickly", only to see it work for one fire and then not again, unless I try to put more fuel in.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Downr@nge
    Options
    Is it faster than a looftlighter?
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    msloan said:
    yeh i saw that too.....but in my case it starts spewing immediately, which led me to believe "ah it must fill quickly", only to see it work for one fire and then not again, unless I try to put more fuel in.

This is one of the reasons I didn't buy one (went with a mapp/propane torch instead). 

I LOATHE refilling butane tanks, it never seems to work quite right to me. I've got a whole bunch of butane lighters at home.... empty, and just collecting dust, because I just hate trying to fill them.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • stemc33
    Options
    Downr@nge said:
    Is it faster than a looftlighter?
    I have no clue, but not having a cord to trip over is worth it to me. I just hope I don't have the problems @msloan is experience 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options

msloan said:
    I've only used it once and done a couple practice lights. If I was experiencing what you're experiencing, I'd contact the dealer and have them make it right. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BKD
    BKD Posts: 10
    Options
    I had to refill mine every time, fuel sprayed everywhere, returned got new one , same issues.I wish I hadn't bought it now.

1 XL BGE

2 Med BGE

1 Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This over MAPP torch benefits?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Going by your time stamps I think a chimney lit by a oil soaked paper towel bunch would be equally proficient. And it'd cost a lot less.
  • stemc33
    Options
    BKD said:
    I had to refill mine every time, fuel sprayed everywhere, returned got new one , same issues.I wish I hadn't bought it now.
    Had the same problem tonight with second use. Maybe I used the flame too long which burned too much fuel. I still think I'm going to like it, but time will tell. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options

This over MAPP torch benefits?
    The fan(blow dryer) effect and being cordless sold me. MAPP torch may have been more practical and more cost effective looking in hindsight. And yes, I know the MAPP is cordless. Sometimes cool advertisements get the best of us. With that said,  it still meets my need for the time being. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Just read the product description. Sounds pretty cool actually. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Going by your time stamps I think a chimney lit by a oil soaked paper towel bunch would be equally proficient. And it'd cost a lot less.
    I think I can get up and running faster with more use, but saving minutes wasn't the complete reason I got it. A chimney isn't optimal when tailgating. Also, I've used a chimney a lot in the last year primarily because I can start it in the garage when it's windy. I've never used an oiled PT in the chimney, only directly in the egg. An oiled PT doesn't work as well in the MM compared to the Large. The other downfall of the paper towel method is the initial smoke. Had some irritated people when tailgating at the fireworks show ysing an oiled paper towel until the smoke cleared 

So many ways to light the egg or a fire for that matter. Always interesting listening to other people's techniques and critiques. 

I'm just waiting to read about someone lighting the egg rubbing sticks together. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Just read the product description. Sounds pretty cool actually. 
    Marketing...Won't be long until you drink the kool-aid.  =) I've drank my fair share since joining the forum. Luckily most of it's be good. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    BRush00 said:
    msloan said:

This is one of the reasons I didn't buy one (went with a mapp/propane torch instead). 

I LOATHE refilling butane tanks, it never seems to work quite right to me. I've got a whole bunch of butane lighters at home.... empty, and just collecting dust, because I just hate trying to fill them.
    I have the same problem with refillable butane lighters.  I have a few torch style cigar lighters and none of them seem to hold fuel for more than 24 hours.  I have to fill them each time I use them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stemc33
    Options
    stemc33 said:

msloan said:
    I've only used it once and done a couple practice lights. If I was experiencing what you're experiencing, I'd contact the dealer and have them make it right. 
    After experiencing the same thing as @msloan and @BKDdoes on my second use, I used less flame time tonight. Hopefully I'll get more lights per refill. I only used the flame for about 4sec then to fan mode. Worked well, I'll just have to see how many fires I'll get to light per tank. Still liking it so far. I'm thinking I might have come out better with a MAPP torch and an inexpensive fan such as @RRP uses. I do like that the blower function is charged via USB cord. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    stemc33 said:

msloan said:
    After experiencing the same thing as @msloan and @BKDdoes on my second use, I used less flame time tonight. Hopefully I'll get more lights per refill. I only used the flame for about 4sec then to fan mode. Worked well, I'll just have to see how many fires I'll get to light per tank. Still liking it so far. I'm thinking I might have come out better with a MAPP torch and an inexpensive fan such as @RRP uses. I do like that the blower function is charged via USB cord. 
    I am just a simple dude who doesn't require a device needing butane nor a USB cord. While I am now stepping up to a battery powered hand held blower thing for $25 I still feel it is pretty basic. I don't want the fire breather, just the blower to rile my fire.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.