Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Vs. Cold Smoked Salmon Test

Options

Last month (been meaning to write this up), I decided to test out the Amazen Cold smoker setup and decided I was going to test it out on some smoked Salmon. I’ve always done a “hot” smoked salmon in the past – coming from the Pacific Northwest where it’s much more prevalent.

Anyhow – I bought 2 large salmon fillets from Sams Club on Wednesday, dry brined them for 24 hours, allowed them to dry for 36 hours and then smoked on Saturday.

Prior to brining:

Covered with the dry brine:

Air drying in the fridge on cookie racks. Finally found a use for those things!

Two eggs makes for easy smoke method testing!

I also used alder chip for the hot smoked version and alder pellets for the cold smoked version – just to be fair on the flavor profile.

Both smoked for almost 5+ hours – the cold smoke version was actually pulled first.

Verdict:

I still prefer the texture of the hot smoked salmon. It flakes while the cold smoked is much softer – almost creamy like. The cold smoked did have more smoke flavor and I probably could have pulled it sooner. The next time I cold smoke salmon, I’m not going to use the same brine/drying method, the pellicle was too heavy on this to allow for nice slicing.

Final thought: Hot smoke wins for me. But need to work on my cold smoking recipe/method.

1st picture is a look at the finished cold smoked salmon:

Here's the hot smoked salmon for comparison.

Dry Brine for Smoked Salmon Recipe (this recipe is doubled since I did 2 fillets)

• 1 cup kosher salt
  • 2 cups (packed) brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 4 crumbled dried bay leaves

Mix and coat salmon. Refrigerate for 24 hours, rinse and then allow salmon to air dry for another 24 hours in the fridge.

And finally - a nice summer al fresco dinner setup with fresh tomatoes, smoked garlic, mozzarella & fresh sliced bread:

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Cool write up. Thanks for sharing. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good!

What temperature was the cold smoked salmon at by the end of the 5 hour smoke?  Reason I ask is even 90F can have a big impact on texture.  Colder the better.  I do my cold smoking around 60F.
    Looks good!

What temperature was the cold smoked salmon at by the end of the 5 hour smoke?  Reason I ask is even 90F can have a big impact on texture.  Colder the better.  I do my cold smoking around 60F.
    It as right around 70F if i recall correctly. Next cold smoking is going to happen the next time it's sub 50F (which is rare here in Houston)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    yeah, that's too hot for something like nova lox i think.  still looks firmer than it should (if that's what you were going for)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the test, I just watched an old Alton Brown episode where he sort of cold smoked a salmon at around 140 degrees.  What was the temp of your cold smoke, probably less than a hundred if just using pellets?   Still debating if I even want to try a cold smoke on salmon.  We do like flaky salmon, cod, etc...
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    Thank you for the test, I just watched an old Alton Brown episode where he sort of cold smoked a salmon at around 140 degrees.  What was the temp of your cold smoke, probably less than a hundred if just using pellets?   Still debating if I even want to try a cold smoke on salmon.  We do like flaky salmon, cod, etc...
    Dome temp never even moved the needle - salmon temp was 70 degrees, so it was far less then 140 for sure

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @HoustonEgger great post!  Love the fact you kept the flavor (alder wood) consistant between both samples . . . well done.  Also thanks for your dry brine recipe.  

I have cured salmon and prepared Hot Smoke / Cold Smoke as well, but I messed up my AMS cold smoked (had issues withs AMS going out, etc.) so results off.  Gotta try cold smoked again this fall, because I KNOW cold smoked has potential to be my fav . . just gotta figure it out.  

Keep posting if you try again!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”