Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Measuring a Finish Against the True Test of Time

Options
Well, it’s been almost 2 months since we pushed our table out of the nest to fly on its own after applying an epoxy-varnish finish I got off YouTube.This is the inaugural cook 1 day after leaving the table to fend for itself:

Briefly, I used 2 build-up coats of a high end epoxy containing UV inhibitors, then rolled on 5 coats of high quality varnish with even stronger UV protectants: 

Our egg is a work horse, typically fired up 3 times a week no matter what the weather might bring. It sits under a patio umbrella and, when not being used, stays draped with a fitted cover.

Under the most punishing of conditions, cooking low and slow through just about everything clammy northeast Florida can throw at it -- from monsoon rains to extremely brutal heat — the finish looks like it went on yesterday. 

So far no indication the finish is failing in any way. All glued and laminated joints remain tight, no cracks or separation points. No discoloration or fading from sun exposure. I’ll keep posting pictures every couple of months -- come rain or shine — to monitor how the finish holds up over time. I’ll post the good, the bad, and the ugly:

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Sure looks great. And if you cover it between uses, I feel sure it will look great for a long time to come.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Agreed, only we're not that good about remembering to keep it covered at times. In some ways the cover can pose some hidden dangers. Invariably water leaks in through seams or build up from all the humidity, leaving a very wet film of water that practically never fully dries. So as much as you have to remember to cover the table, you have to also remember to uncover it to let dry and air out.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    As a professional painter told me once is with varnish it will last for years to come, but if you ever gouge through the surface you need to apply varnish to it immediately before it gets wet as water will ruin the bond around the gouge, ruining the finish  underneath and you'll have a bear of a time without stripping and starting over. BTW beautiful table!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Dern good point, my man. A break through to the wood and you're open to all kinds bad things; mold and mildew can start growing underneath the finish.