Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Batting Cages

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,196
Anyone have a home batting cage?  I am looking to install a 70' x14' x 12' cage.

Curious if anybody has any suggestions for good companies to deal with.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    It's been so long since I had one when I was a kid, but I remember building it with dad. Sorry I don't have much input, but I have such fond memories of having one in my backyard and putting in work whenever I could.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Buddy of mine has one in his basement.  I think they made it though.  I'll try to get some pictures of it.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I'll get you a better picture, but he got the net from Ebay, and then bought the PVC.  Works great.  This is my niece batting.  When he built his house he had the celings in the basement 13ft so he could swing a golf club too.  

https://youtu.be/uWFACK3_vOk
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Made one myself years ago.  bought a bunch of chain link fence pipe from HD/Lowes and fittings to build it with verticals sunk into 5 g buckets filled with concrete, had to stabilize with cables and t-posts.  PITA.  There are a few companies online that sell the proper fittings to make a cage (a stable one) and you just buy the pipe, much better way to go.  If you need a net, it's worth checking HS and local pony or little leagues.  We got our net used when the pony league was replacing the nets (they replace every couple of years for liability since kids stand around outside them). The one we got was perfect for backyard use and was free for hauling it away.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Crap, I just realized you're wanting an outside cage.  I didn't even pay attention to the dimensions.  

Sorry about that!  Disregard everything I posted.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Crap, I just realized you're wanting an outside cage.  I didn't even pay attention to the dimensions.  

could be in the house, i definately lived on the wrong side of the tracks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

Holy hell that is amazing!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    If you build that, hire a pitcher too!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    cazzy said:

Holy hell that is amazing!
    it amazes me, even my bat was a handmedown from my dad, way to big for me, and then you see this. atleast those 1950's bats were huge, good for bunting =) not like that scrawney bat this kid had to use
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Yeah I have one like that, but I want an outdoor one too.  Need my kids to get used to the outdoor fields too.  Some of these poor schools don't have domes :(
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Legume said:
    Made one myself years ago.  bought a bunch of chain link fence pipe from HD/Lowes and fittings to build it with verticals sunk into 5 g buckets filled with concrete, had to stabilize with cables and t-posts.  PITA.  There are a few companies online that sell the proper fittings to make a cage (a stable one) and you just buy the pipe, much better way to go.  If you need a net, it's worth checking HS and local pony or little leagues.  We got our net used when the pony league was replacing the nets (they replace every couple of years for liability since kids stand around outside them). The one we got was perfect for backyard use and was free for hauling it away.
    Great idea!  Thanks for the heads up.  We have a lot of leagues around.  I'll hit up the highschool and middle school coaches.