Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ in South Carolina Low Country

Options
Brethren,

My family will be traveling down to Myrtle Beach in two weeks and it will be our first visit. I know it is heavily touristy, so I imagine there is a lot of standard BBQ fare there. I was wondering if there were any suggestions from the locals or those who have had some excellent 'Q there; both my wife and I really like the mustard-based local style. We will also be taking a day trip to Charleston as well. I've read good things about Bessinger's from some past threads here.

In any event, any smokin' reviews would be most gratefully appreciated.

-chelnerul
Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    In Myrtle beach, you won't find much mustard-based stuff as its in the eastern Carolina zone still. That being said, I like old south Bbq company on Sea Mountain Highway in Cherry Grove. 

You'll be in Mustard heaven in Charleston. There are 3 bessinger brothers. Thomas in West Ashley, Joe in Summerville, and Melvin in Mt Pleasant and on Johns Island. I prefer the sauce from Thomas' place, which is called Bessingers BBQ.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hit whatever Eggcelsior mentioned.  If you're in Charleston on September 5th, hit up Revelry Brewing for the last Summer BBQ Session from Lewis Barbecue.  Get there early though...links below.

http://www.revelrybrewingco.com
    http://lewisbarbecue.com/
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Where are you coming from? There are some good places on the way from NVa, depending on ho you plan to get there.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Rodney Scotts is worth the trip. Home Team in Chuck Town are killer guys. Cook on Langs
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If headed east on I26.....you would be hard pressed to find better than Earl Dukes in Organgburg. In fact, I would drive out the way to eat a plate and take some bulk to the beach for later. http://www.yelp.com/biz/dukes-bar-b-que-orangeburg The hash and rice are as good (if not better) than the pork itself. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Rodney Scotts in Hemingway S.C.
    Browns in Kingsstreet S.C.
    those are the best places in SC in my opinion.
    Best over all Buffett is the School House in Scranton SC.
  • Chelnerul
    Chelnerul Posts: 153
    Options
    @Cazzy - will be leaving the following day unfortunately...

@Carolina_Q - coming down from NoVA, so I-95 most of way, then local surface streets to Myrtle Beach. Have two kids with us - 2 and 4, so that may dictate stops too!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Take a Mini-Max
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    If you burn down my rental house I'll provide the Boston butts, rubs, and sauce. Damn renters. We'll call it Bad Karma BBQ. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    @THEBuckeye - if only...that's my next purchase though

@Jeremiah - yeah, we're actually staying in someone's timeshare!
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    You guys are great - I'm taking these down and plotting them on a Google map overlay of our roadtrip...

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Chelnerul said:
    @Carolina_Q - coming down from NoVA, so I-95 most of way, then local surface streets to Myrtle Beach. Have two kids with us - 2 and 4, so that may dictate stops too! 
    The only place that I've tried that's conveniently along your route is Ralph's in Weldon. Exit 173 off of 95, shortly after you get into NC. East on US 158, about half a mile on your left. Pretty good, though cooked in a gasser (I think). I've been there a few times, though it's been a long while. Might be a nice place to stop for lunch on your way.

Other places off 95 that I hear are good, but haven't tried, are Parker's and Bill Ellis, both in Wilson. 

Further south, if you don't mind a slight detour, Wilber's in Goldsboro is quite good. I've been there a couple of times and likely will be again.

I don't think I've actually had any Q in Myrtle. If I have, it wasn't memorable. Surely they have some there. :) Hope you find something you enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SC trip is in the eary planning stages.  In Charleston, first on the list(SC Q fare of any standard isn't even on said list) is Husk, Chef Sean Brock's spot.  

http://www.huskrestaurant.com/home/
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Chelnerul
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TRIP REPORT UPDATE - So, I just got back, and I wanted to thank everyone who wrote in with suggestions for us. I wanted to give our assessment of the places we ate, some planned, others not...

Moore's - New Bern, NC (http://www.mooresbarbeque.com/Welcome.html), simple place since 1945, traditional eastern Carolina style, though their house sauce is thicker than most here. Ribs were so-so, Brunswick stew was stellar, pulled pork sandwiches w/slaw were absolutely outstanding, among the best I've ever had. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Jimmy Hagood's 'Que for the Soul, Charleston Market Hall (http://foodforthesouthernsoul.com/) - came across this by chance while the family was walking back through town to our car. Young man was just then pulling a butt, and it was great. Good, tangy vinegar sauce, good bark on the pork. Their homemade mustard BBQ sauce was a punch to the face of tangy, the most pungent I've ever tried. However, it worked with the fresh butt. Would also recommend.

Melvins (Melvin Bessinger, Mt Pleasant, SC, a few miles over the bridge from Charleston: https://www.melvinsbbq.com/) - we were leaving Charleston, it was late, and this was the only Bessinger brother I hadn't tried, so we stopped. It was an amazing find, as I'd never seen a BBQ shop with a drive-thru. I know, blasphemous, but it was great for us with two cranky, tired kids in the car. We ordered the family seven meat sampler and drove back to the beach. The chicken was undercooked, a little bloody, and inedible. The burnt ends were very good, though about half were tough (the other half were great). The pulled pork and brisket were outstanding, and we ordered two portions of each. I've had difficulty with the couple of briskets I've smoked here on the BGE, and Melvin's had by far the best restaurant-bought smoked brisket I've ever eaten. The pulled pork was very good too, little vinegary but in a good way.

Parker's BBQ, Wilson, NC - we timed this for lunch and a trip of I95 to a local lake so the kids could stretch their legs and play at a playground. The place was jumpin' for a Friday at 1400 - lines everywhere, all locals jawboning and carrying on. Good, down home feel. Friendly and helpful staff. We ordered the fried chicken (excellent), hush puppies (devoured by kids and wife), pulled pork/coleslaw sandwiches (meh; Parker's pork is delectable with vinegar and pepper flaked sauce, but the slaw was too sweet and smashed into the sandwich/bun, so it wasn't nearly as good as we had hoped. Don't think I'd go back). I also ordered a pint of pulled pork separately, and we're having that tonight with some Thomas Bessinger's mustard sauce for a late dinner now that we're home and the kids are out of the bathtub.

Also, wife and I got to go to a local Publix and they were great, carried both Thomas and Melvin's BBQ sauces as well as a bunch of other local stuff. I came back home with five different sauces...

So, in sum, no pictures, but a trip report. I plan on trying some of those other recommendations if possible next time, as the family had such a great time that we're going back next year too. The water was 83 degrees and wonderful. I only got stung by a jellyfish once....

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kingstree, SC.  

Antleys BBQ in Orangeburg, SC kills Dukes. 

Neither near Charleston or MB  So, I'm with @Focker on Husk.  Outstanding.   Scotts BBQ in Hemingway is great as mentioned earlier.  

Sorry, I'm not a mustard fan and Maurice's is nothing special.  Might be my bias against mustard sauce though.  Enjoy your stay.  Hit NY Prime in MB. Crust on a steak like no other.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Kingstree, SC.  

Antleys BBQ in Orangeburg, SC kills Dukes. 

Oh man......you are killing me.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow