Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York Pizza Styles - way more than you thought...

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Just saw this on Eater and thought some of you might be interested. 

http://ny.eater.com/2015/8/7/9050099/new-york-pizza-styles-best-slice

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    first time ive seen mention of bakery pizza, we still have a couple places that serve it here. also you never hear about the new england greek pizza, love the greasy almost fried bottom pies =) was watching something about pizza this weekend, the pizza box wasnt invented til the 50's, i still remember places selling it stacked in small bakery boxes, when they eventually changed to the pizza box it lost some of the texture and taste that i liked with the bakery pies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that Michael. Good read. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    first time ive seen mention of bakery pizza, we still have a couple places that serve it here. also you never hear about the new england greek pizza, love the greasy almost fried bottom pies =) was watching something about pizza this weekend, the pizza box wasnt invented til the 50's, i still remember places selling it stacked in small bakery boxes, when they eventually changed to the pizza box it lost some of the texture and taste that i liked with the bakery pies
    Virtually all of the non-chain joints here sell only Greek style pizza. 

The problem with pizza boxes is that they tend to steam the pie which softens the crust. There are some places that won't even offer take-out because they refuse to put their pies in a box.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had Lombardi's on Friday and Di Fara yesterday.  Lombardi's pizza looked better visually, but DiFara was the best pizza I've ever had.  I still have more pics to edit from DiFara.

Dom Demarco is a legend and I feel fortunate to have a pizza from him before he hangs up his apron!

We are hitting up Keste today!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    great read! still trying to perfect my pizza cooks
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I had Lombardi's on Friday and Di Fara yesterday.  

We are hitting up Ketse today!

I wasn't impressed with Lombardi's. Just "okay". Dom's pie, on the other hand, was outstanding! Even reheated! I was in Virginia and my son bought me a Di Fara pie and delivered it, five hours away. Can only imagine what it would have been like fresh out of the oven. BTW, I wouldn't mind standing in line there. It's pizza!! :)

Did you mean Keste? Haven't been to that one. Yet. Supposed to be great!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I had Lombardi's on Friday and Di Fara yesterday.  

We are hitting up Ketse today!

I wasn't impressed with Lombardi's. Just "okay". Dom's pie, on the other hand, was outstanding! Even reheated! I was in Virginia and my son bought me a Di Fara pie and delivered it, five hours away. Can only imagine what it would have been like fresh out of the oven. BTW, I wouldn't mind standing in line there. It's pizza!! :)

Did you mean Keste? Haven't been to that one. Yet. Supposed to be great!
    Yes, Keste...we just got here.

The depth of flavor in Dom's pizza was outstanding.  I want to go to Pizzeria Beddia...who drew inspiration from Dom and was voted as the new pizza king.

http://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/article/beddia
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Motorino too (west village), Paulie Gee's and Roberta's in Brooklyn. I've been talking about a pizza tour for forever. GOT to do it!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options

The problem with pizza boxes is that they tend to steam the pie which softens the crust. There are some places that won't even offer take-out because they refuse to put their pies in a box.

one thing ive never been able to duplicate with the greek pizzas (i know you like the ny style) is the tiny crispy bubbles on the crust, one place in particular up in maine is really bubbly, maybe 10000 crunchy bubbles on the top outside crust per pie. tried brushing oil, and spraying it, not even close. place has a really old brick gas oven, im thinking it has to be the oven
    fukahwee maine

• Ivanhoe
    Options
    great article on Beddia!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • fishlessman
    Options

one thing ive never been able to duplicate with the greek pizzas (i know you like the ny style) is the tiny crispy bubbles on the crust, one place in particular up in maine is really bubbly, maybe 10000 crunchy bubbles on the top outside crust per pie. tried brushing oil, and spraying it, not even close. place has a really old brick gas oven, im thinking it has to be the oven
    googling them (pizza by alex) i see they use cheddar, that might explain it,its the most crispy outer crust ive ever seen
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    googling them (pizza by alex) i see they use cheddar, that might explain it,its the most crispy outer crust ive ever seen
    Interesting menu! 10" pies only. Most are only $7. Odd "options" too. 

http://www.pizzabyalexmaine.com/menu/

Dunno about the bubbly crust. Maybe you need a deck oven. :) Have you tried one in the Lacanche? =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    ive been eating there for over 40 years =) we have an old family beach house ther that we have had now for 4 generations. went a couple years ago and was dissapointed to see new ovens til an older woman in line demanded hers be cooked in the old oven, of coarse i then said old oven, then everyone in line coming in said old oven =) tried in the lacanche but didnt get the crust i wanted, im now thinking it may just be the oil in the cheddar popping as it cooks. i like the 10 inch pies, everyone gets a pie
    fukahwee maine

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nice post - thanks for link.

@cazzy . . . we did Di Fara last year - great memory with a true pizza legend, and that pizza was sooooo good!

I assume you have seen the amazing video about Dom & Di Fara?  If not, below is link . . . a great watch.

EDIT . . . that previous link I posted sucked, wrong video.  The video I wanted to share can not be posted here on the forum, but 100% worth a google search and watch . . only 17 minutes and was played at brooklyn film festival . . CHECK IT OUT !!
    • Google Search:  "di fara the best thing i ever done"

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    edit
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • cazzy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    NDG said:
    edit
    It worked.  You just click "watch on Vimeo"
  • NDG
    Options
    well two different videos - gotta be the HD vimeo called "the best thing i ever done"
    Columbus, OH

• Ivanhoe
    Options
    Good video! Great story behind it!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • NDG
    Options
    @ivanhoe thanks feedback . . glad the search worked - I really enjoyed it too!
    Columbus, OH

• Ivanhoe
    Options
    @NDG My mom was born in Brooklyn so I am always interested to see stories like this!

Tulare, CA - Large BGE