Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steven Raichlen video on BGE website

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
i just watched Steven Raichlen cook planked trout on the BGE website.  He used briquettes.  Nothing I have read from BGE supports the use of briquettes.   I have been away from the forum for while.  What's up with that?  
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Knowing him he photoshopped a webber kettle to look like an egg, eh @Dyal_SC
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Good one @ Chubbs

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyfx9dX420

Tool!  That one XXL Egg ruined
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    He's such a tool.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can use standard briquettes in an Egg. The only risk is choking the airflow off due to the amount of ash production from briquettes because of the additives/binders(cornstarch, mostly) that don't burn off.

DO NOT use Matchlight or any brand with lighter fluid added(or lighter fluid itself). That will absorb into the ceramic and foul the egg.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    No way am I putting briquettes in my egg.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I believe it has been that briquettes were not recommended due to the larger quantity of ash they produce.

That may be a problem with the older charcoal grates with fewer holes for ash to drop thru but may not be such a big deal at all if one is using a KAB or aftermarket charcoal grate like a HighQue or Fishbones which are much more free flowing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk