Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Eggs are finally in their nest

Options
I have finally completed the nesting place for my Eggs and if it ever stops raining here I hope to fire them up for the first time soon.  It has been a blast building this area and I have enjoyed it all.  I can't wait to start cooking and being able to post pics of my endeavors.

The railing in this pic is my Guard Rail and is anchored to the deck.  When I roll the eggs out from under the roof to cook, I don't want to take a chance that they may roll off the steps.  There is a slight decline to the deck to allow for rainoff and I am not taking any chances on this 500 pound cart getting away from me.

It is a simple outdoor kitchen, but it works for us.  The permanent structure is already in the planning stages.  I just figured I should make sure that we like the egg cooking addiction first.
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Great spot you have there, Eggs look quite comfy in their new nest
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Monty77 , thanks.  I just clicked the link in your signature.  Those are some absolutely breath taking photos. Nice!!!
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    I can already tell you that you will HATE THE EGGS.... You better just give them to me for pennies on the dollar and I will be down around noon to get the from you! HAHAHA. Looks nice. You will love the eggs and become a addict like the rest of us. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Did you come up with the plans for this table yourself? I have about talked myself into making a table for my XL and small. I have enough woodworking skill to make the table, but I am unsure about drawing up plans/knowing how much wood to buy without making 4 trips to Lowes.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Beautiful!!!
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Way cool! 
    Jacksonville FL
  • heartmedic
    Options
    Great job !!!! Love your set up.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Very cook setup ... love the storage hidden under the serving table.  What kind of "roof" do you have over the egg and beyond?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    @Monty77 , thanks.  I just clicked the link in your signature.  Those are some absolutely breath taking photos. Nice!!!
    Thank you for taking the time to view my photos, I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed them.  I look forward to seeing some great shots from your new setup.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    What material do you have under the nests? Is it a tile of some sort or fire brick?
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Wow,  your photo spread should be in a magazine!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Sonny3
    Options
    Did you come up with the plans for this table yourself? I have about talked myself into making a table for my XL and small. I have enough woodworking skill to make the table, but I am unsure about drawing up plans/knowing how much wood to buy without making 4 trips to Lowes.
    I did not make the egg table myself.  I found a small company that makes about 2-3K tables per year for the major egg manufacturers.  We talked on the phone a few times and he tweaked his design to meet my needs.  My original design for two eggs would have ran me about $400 in materials and that would have been built from pine.  He built this 100% cypress table for me for $380. His shop is about 20 miles from my sister's place, so I coupled the trip of visiting her and picking up the table.  I just checked it out on Googlemaps and you are about 305 miles from his shop located just outside of Snellville, Ga.  Check out his site and maybe give him a call - cypressgrilltables.com if you are interested.

If you want to go through with building your own, let me know and I will be happy to give you a detailed list of the materials in my table by board feet.  Basically  I will try to help you come up with a set of building plans, including detailed pics.  Just PM me.
  • Sonny3
    Options
    Very cook setup ... love the storage hidden under the serving table.  What kind of "roof" do you have over the egg and beyond?
    The roof over the lanai is called elite panel and was built by the pool company that enclosed our pool.  It is aluminum top and bottom, sandwiched around 4" of insulation.  It is about 7-8 feet above the top of the eggs.  For that reason I planned the run-out (with guard rail) to take the table out from under the cover when I cook with higher temps. When it is out there the dome tops are about 15' from the top of the screen enclosure.
  • Sonny3
    Options
    What material do you have under the nests? Is it a tile of some sort or fire brick?
    Under the table nest is a 1/4 thick porcelain ceramic tile and 1/2 thick concrete backer board. I was trying to save from having to adjust the shelves to accommodate a thicker material.  Since the discussion about fires was had here on the forum a week or so ago, I have been researching heat barriers.  Spent quite a bit of time doing this.  I found a company that makes a heat barrier material used in high performance racing cars.  They have sent me a sample and I talked at length with the manufacturer.  I plan to test the material with both Mapp Gas torch and Weed Burner torch as soon as my IR temp gun arrives in the next couple of days.  The rep states the data sheet says it was built to withstand 750 degrees of direct contact heat and 2000 degrees of radiant heat.  I will be testing it on top of the tile as well as sandwiching it between the tile and backerboard. My goal will be to see it I can ignite the wood placed under the tile + backerbord + material.  I am also thinking to use this material on the edge of the table around the air gap cutouts in the table top.  I have also been working with a friend who is in manufacturing and has access to stainless to design a radiant heat ring to go around the egg at the table top cutout.  Maybe looking at using both the SS and the material.  Working first on functionality with a look at appearance too. I will post this under a new thread when I start with the testing.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks WONDERFUL!  Wow, what a great setup!  Enjoy!!!