Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre Purchased Large BGE for EggFest

Options

On July 27 I pre-purchased a Demo package for the EggFest Aug 15 at Green Top Sporting goods in Ashland Virginia!! 20% off on accessories the day of the fest. Wish list is piling up the $$$$ fast. Can't wait, been wanting one of these for years and the price made it now or never.

Great forum and great ideas on here.

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Welcome! You will not be disappointed. Don't get too carried away with accessories until you get a feel for what you will need with your cooking style. All of us have bought numerous accessories that never get used now. Enjoy!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  @Egghead Daron. +1

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome, and congrats on your new green friend.
    Phoenix 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Welcome, we will see you there.  I haven't even fired up my new eggs yet, but the wife and I are planning to attend.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome.  Enjoy!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    What is included in your package from the Eggfest ? There are some items I would recommend to everyone such as pizza stone, possibly a cover, handler if you are going to move it around in a nest. I'm also a fan of cast iron grate. Are items like thermppens available? Also, depending on your checkbook and desired result, you may be able to upgrade from a nest to a challenger cart or something. Just giving you the options. Welcome to a whole new world!
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    What is included in your package from the Eggfest ? There are some items I would recommend to everyone such as pizza stone, possibly a cover, handler if you are going to move it around in a nest. I'm also a fan of cast iron grate. Are items like thermppens available? Also, depending on your checkbook and desired result, you may be able to upgrade from a nest to a challenger cart or something. Just giving you the options. Welcome to a whole new world!
    The egg (large)and the nest $799. And thanks to all for the suggestions and warm welcome.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey you are about to embark upon.  What follows is a random collection of info that may be of use down the road.   

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm 

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ 

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

That's more than enough for now.  We are all here to offer advice-and don't be surprised if you get several options for any question you may ask.  The flexibility of  the BGE affords quite a range of approaches to most cooks.

Don't over-think any cook and have fun!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would get a plate setter or other means of indirect. Most of my cooks are indirect. Enjoy the ride.