Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steven's Fried Chicken

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
A couple of days ago @stemc33 posted a fried chicken cook (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184823/fried-chicken/p1) that caught my interest.  Great pictures, but no instructions.  But then, how hard can a chicken cook be?

The spider went in the egg with the legs up and a 12" skillet balanced in the ring.  Aimed for a nice 330 degree fire with some orange wood for smoke.  Opps, first mistake ... IR says the skillet is in the 500 degree range.  The spider was flipped to raise the skillet away from the fire ... that worked better ... mid-400's.  Some oil in the pan and in go the breaded chicken breasts.  Ten minutes per side and a few extra on the fat edge fixed the breading in place:

I like to cook chicken indirect (a little more idiot proof if you will), so decided that it would be a good idea to use the skillet as an indirect "stone."  Pulled the chicken, dropped the PSWoo2 and OEM grill over the spider and pan, put the chicken on the food grid, and closed the lid.  Hmmm ... second mistake ... that didn't work as I expected.  Seems that once the chicken was out of the skillet it heated back up again and the grease was popping and crackling.  Let us just say that the inside of my egg will not rust.

The chicken was great ... all the flavor of fried chicken and all the moistness that the egg yields.  I'll be doing this cook again ... although, with a different setup for sure.  Thanks Steven.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I love frying food in the egg, especially in a wok.  I think that is one of the rarely used selling points.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Jeepster47Nice details on the cook. Thanks for the props and sharing your experience. I'll be repeating the cook despite the warnings from the docs. Lol. Frying in our small house and not having a smoke catching hood with a fan makes for a smokey house. Plus, I don't have to deal with the splatters. Egg works perfect for those two issues. 

@Ozzie_IsaacAfter seeing/hearing about the wok cooks, I'm hoping to get one soon. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming