Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Hasty Bake Charcoal

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
I stopped by the Hasty Bake store today because they had pallets of charcoal setting out in front of their store.  I was thinking that they found a replacement for their trademark charcoal, which was manufactured by Ozark Oak.  What I found was pallets of Royal Oak Chef's Best charcoal briquettes that were clearly marked "Not For Sale."  The store manager told me that RO bought out OO and they still haven't found a replacement manufacturer.  I suggested they contact Rockwood and told him what a great lump it was and it was made it Missouri.  We'll see what happens.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I use those briquettes in the Meadow Creek PR-60. Here it is loaded up with apple wood splits for smoke. I asked about using lump, but the manufacturer recommends briquettes. Once I have my own I'll try lump and see how it burns.

This was about 90# of briquettes.

pr60.jpg 618.3K
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    Johnathan @stlcharcoal  you might want to give them a call.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I stopped by the Hasty Bake store today because they had pallets of charcoal setting out in front of their store.  I was thinking that they found a replacement for their trademark charcoal, which was manufactured by Ozark Oak.  What I found was pallets of Royal Oak Chef's Best charcoal briquettes that were clearly marked "Not For Sale."  The store manager told me that RO bought out OO and they still haven't found a replacement manufacturer.  I suggested they contact Rockwood and told him what a great lump it was and it was made it Missouri.  We'll see what happens.

Look at it again it reads not for Resale, not Sale. My feeling is this lump is meant to be sold to restaurants at a wholesale price and to help keep some yo yo employee from swiping a bag or two and reselling it off the loading dock they mark it that way. Other producers mark items the same way.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    @DMW  Ha!  That's a lot of charcoal.  I hope you filled the smoker up with meat.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    @DMW  Ha!  That's a lot of charcoal.  I hope you filled the smoker up with meat.
    A lil' bit.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    @DMW  I feel stupid now for making that remark!  That's impressive!

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Nice looking hog!
    Large BGE
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Are you saying Hasty Bake does not have any charcoal?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    DMW said:
    Hawg Fan said:
    A lil' bit.

Thanks @DMW... 

Tan.jpg 14.2K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @DMW.... Or this. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN