Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uncured Ham to Pulled Pork

Options
SlappyD
SlappyD Posts: 3
I want to make pulled pork with an uncured ham. Any thoughts on time duration and temp?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bone in or out? Net weight? 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Bone in or out? Net weight? 
    Agree.  Also depends on what temp you want to cook at.  My best guess at bone in ham cooking at 250 is going to be close to 1.5 lb per hour maybe a little longer.  I would cure it and make true ham out of it if it was me.  Not hard to do, just takes about 5-7 days and a good brine.  I've only done shoulders for pulled pork.  For finish temp it would be the same as a should, shoot for 195 and start probing for tenderness.  Others will have better input, I bet.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've done uncured hams just as pork roasts. There's not as much connective tissue and fat as a butt. I'm sure you could get it to pull, but it might seem sort of dry.

The only way I've found to cook leaner meats w. little internal fat is to get some gelatine into them. Maybe get some plain gel, mix it w. a little salt, and inject the ham before the gel sets up.

Then rub and cook like a butt, dome 250F for maybe 1.25 hours/lb, or up to dome 350, and down to 45 min, or less, per pound. Maybe baste it w. some butter a few times.
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Our church uses uncured picnic hams to make our bbq every fall and spring. There is no rub as usually the skin is still on so we add flavor by adding a vinegar based sauce (not bbq sauce but a mixture of vinegar and spices) when we are chopping. We usually smoke at 250-300 for 12+ hours.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this was done by chet who used to do them regularly. he deboned and brined for a day and a half, then 225 indirect until about 200 like a butt, then wrapped in foil for 2 hours in a cooler. he pulled his handle off the forum about 12 or so years ago because the forum elders didnt believe him =)  they cooked in similar time to a butt which is close to 2hrs per pound at these temps, chet always started with deboning a 20 pound ham so it was a big piece, not sure what would happen downsizing the ham

101_0124jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SlappyD
    SlappyD Posts: 3
    Options
    Its 15lbs and I'm only going to assume that its bone it with the size