Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - bought a vitamix

Options
texaswig
texaswig Posts: 2,682
Just pulled the trigger on this bad boy.now just have to wait 6 to 8 days for it to get here. I can't believe after spending that kind of money, I should have paid to get it beetle faster. But I saved 20 bucks withal a shipping code.  trying to eat more healthy. We've been wanting one for years. Finally said the h*** with it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You'll love it!  It's a totally legit unit. We have the Ninja 1500 professional. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Have the exact same vitamix model. Use it every day. You will NOT regret it. For us the biggest benefit is being able to sneak veggies into smoothies for our picky kids.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have a blendtec, you will absolutely love a professional level blender. I make a fruit and veggie smoothie every morning. Makes great frozen margaritas too! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We originally bought ours for our green smoothies. Again, you WILL be happy with your purchase. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I always wanted a Vitamix, but picked up a BlendTec and we've been really satisfied.  Enjoy your new toy!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I also have the 750 and don't regret buying it one bit. One of the best buys I have ever made.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • texaswig
    Options
    I've got a small cheap food processor. I'm hoping that I can use this when making hot sauces and such. @NPHuskerFL I'm also a fan of the  green smoothies. And I have big plans for adult frozen beverages. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    The Vitamix completely liquifies everything. Seeds and skins, which have a lot of nutrients. I never watched a Vitamix demo because I wasn't going to pay that much for a blender, but I was wrong. We sent our Wolfgang puck blender and L'Quip Juicer home with the kids.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • texaswig
    Options
    Seen my first demo about 10 years ago at the  Texas state fair. Decided then I wanted one. I just keep pushing it back. I'm sure there's lot of people that would think of spending over 600 bucks on a blender is insane. Never really claimed to be sane. Lol

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cool! 

Makes teef obsolete!
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We got ours last spring at Cosco and on the way home we stopped by the liquor store to pick up some Tequila. The book that came with ours has a recipe for whole fruit margarita that is killer. Also it's good for smoothies too. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Try the potato soup recipe....but I add extra bacon....ohhhh bacon.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I have a margaritaville machine for fun drinks and use an omega masticating juicer for the healthy stuff. Honestly I love the juicer, never realized how much I would like some of that stuff. Apples, oranges, and carrots together make one heck of a drink. Still good if you add khale and cucumber too.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I think you'll enjoy it, expense aside.

I bought a Blendtec a couple years ago. The only downside is that it is really hard not to over blend stuff. Hard to make bread crumbs that are not bread dust. And, I put in a bunch of pitted cherries. It broke them down so far that half the pulp set up into jam, when what I wanted was the juice.

But very nice for instant soups. Can make my own nut butters. No necessarily cheaper than store bought, but interesting blends that otherwise would be hard to assemble.
  • eggsplorer
    eggsplorer Posts: 11
    Options
    I've had my Vitamix for a few years now and use it everyday for healthy green shakes for the wife and I. I have never regreted buying the unit after burning up a few normal mainstream blenders.

Having the ability to whip up a quick healthy soup has been great as well. There are some recipes in the booklet that comes with the machine and tons available on the web.

Congrats on the purchase, you will never look back.
    1 LBGE, 1 Mini Max, 48"x36" offset reverse flow, Webber gasser
    Walnut Creek, Ca
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've been eyeballing these things. But I just don't think I would use it enough. I do like the idea of morning smoothies.  Is it really that much better than my magic bullet?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'm with @Thatgrimguy , I don't use a blender much, though I watched a demo at Costco the week of the 4th and man it's pretty amazing.  I'd like to get one if my kitchen was bigger.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @HuskerMaMa made some Mudslides tonight using ours. Titos, Baileys Irish Cream, Kahlua, ice cream, ice and drizzled chocolate syrup. 
    I want one of these every morning!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Make sure you keep it on the counter. If you put it away, it won't get used. Use mine for green smoothies every week day.  Lets me eat plenty of proteins on the weekend. 
    Had ours for almost 2 yrs now. I've lost 35# since buying the Vitamix and the egg. Not exactly sure which one has been the culprit. =)
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Vitamix makes the absolute best peanut butter I've ever tasted. Get a couple cans of honey roasted peanuts and put them in.. d

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• oldmandawg
    oldmandawg Posts: 83
    Options
    Anyone got some green smoothie recipes to share. I need to start on a more healthy diet. And I have a Vitamix.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @HuskerMaMa made some Mudslides tonight using ours. Titos, Baileys Irish Cream, Kahlua, ice cream, ice and drizzled chocolate syrup. 
    I want one of these every morning!!
    this is the reason i cant have one of these machines =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    As @gdenby  mentioned, it can tend to overblend things because it is so powerful.  With a little practice though, you can leave things chunky.  The best salsa and guacamole I've ever eaten come out of my vita.
    Phoenix 
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options

The Vita Mix is a great product, we've had ours for nearly 20 years...gets used a couple of days a week every week.  Still going strong

• Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm on VitaMix #2.   Bought my first one almost 20 years ago.   Gave it to my friend when I bought a shiny new red one.....because, red IS my favorite color. Love love love the VitaMix!   
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Buying quality only stings once....
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Anyone got some green smoothie recipes to share. I need to start on a more healthy diet. And I have a Vitamix.
    I do this:
    1 1/2-2 cups spinach or kale
    1 lg carrot
    1 lg stalk of Celery
    1 apple
    1 banana
    2-3 tbsp ground flax seed
    4 oz nonfat greek yogurt
    4 oz berries
    16 oz water
    6 ice cubes
    This will make a full 48 oz container.
    My wife snd I share this everyday.

Try to stay away from grapes. They are very high in sugar. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • oldmandawg
    oldmandawg Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks. Will give this a try.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    • 6 mangoes, peeled, chopped
    • 1 1/2 cups white rum
    • 1 1/2 cups vodka