Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are small eggs really that small?

I picked up my first small green egg today.  It was smaller than I imagined.

It really looks small compared to my large egg.

If a few more of my hens start laying I can finally have breakfast!
Glencoe, Minnesota

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    Lol. Awesome.  I'd have chickens in a heartbeat if my HOA approved.  ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,965
    Dyal_SC said:
    LOL - never lived on a farm, huh? Actually that was the precise reply given to me years ago in college when I noticed that none of  my fraternity brothers who came from rural areas would ever eat chicken other than eggs. I mean a couple detested chickens so much they wouldn't even eat eggs! 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RRP said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    LOL - never lived on a farm, huh? Actually that was the precise reply given to me years ago in college when I noticed that none of  my fraternity brothers who came from rural areas would ever eat chicken other than eggs. I mean a couple detested chickens so much they wouldn't even eat eggs! 
    I helped my uncle clean out his chicken house after an especially bad heat spell when I was 14 or so. I decided then I never wanted to be a chicken farmer...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    RRP said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Nope, never lived on a farm.  We do eat lots of eggs though.  :)  
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Cleaning chicken coops sucks! But once you have tasted chickens and their eggs after they have been allowed to free range those pale yellow yolks and loose slack meat will never be as good.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • The layer coop is a breeze to clean.  The meat bird coop/pens is not but those big ol' boys are delicious. 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    The layer coop is a breeze to clean.  The meat bird coop/pens is not but those big ol' boys are delicious. 
    Layer coop?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    They'll get bigger. My Easter eggers still had smaller eggs than my New Hampshire and Rhode Island Reds though. Also, my Reds were more consistent layers especially when temps dropped below 10°. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming