Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - fresh Georgia peaches

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum

A few years ago a couple of guys from Nashville started making a weekly trip to South Georgia to get fresh peaches in season. The Peach Truck has since become quite popular, mostly because the peaches are flipping amazing. I got a case last week when they were at my local Ace Hardware for a few hours.

Our favorite way to eat them so far has been as a Peach Crisp with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. We literally have made 3 of these things in the last 4 days.

Peaches were peeled, chopped, mixed with lemon juice/lemon zest, and covered with a crisp topping (flour/butter/brown sugar, cinnamon)

Baked at 350 until topping set.

My family thinks it just might be the finest thing to ever come out of my kitchen.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that Peach crisp looks great.  I live in GA and you would think they would be everywhere...but all the grocery stores me have peaches from California.   :o

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt we have Georgia and South Carolina peaches all over the place here in Augusta
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    @SmokeyPitt we have Georgia and South Carolina peaches all over the place here in Augusta
    @chrisc133- I'm up north of Atlanta in Woodstock.  I am going to check out the farmers market tomorrow and hope I find some. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    awesome - we just grilled some yesterday and it was sooo good.  I would like to try a large crisp before the season ends . . . do you have any tips on ways to peel?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • TTC
    Options

Peel in same manner as tomatoes.

Pierce the skin in a small x pattern on opposite end of core. Blanch in boiling water for 30-45 seconds. Pull and place in ice water bath to stop cooking process. Skin will peel right off, start where you made the x and it will slide right off.  

Ikon pass 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @ttc . . . Great.  Never heard of this method - thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Cooked  a fresh peach cobbler this past weekend on the egg.....a mild little pecan smoked flavor took it up a notch.

You can't beat fresh peaches.....Man was it good.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    That peach crisp recipe sounds like the one I make from Cooks Illustrated.  It's unbelievable.  The only part I don't like it peeling 8-10 peaches. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    That peach crisp recipe sounds like the one I make from Cooks Illustrated.  It's unbelievable.  The only part I don't like it peeling 8-10 peaches. 
    @Grillin_beers did you happen to catch @TTC 's comment above on peeling technique?  That sounds like the way to do it.  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    A serrated peeler helps with fruit like peaches and tomatoes. I have a micro plane that works great.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    TTC said:

Peel in same manner as tomatoes.

Pierce the skin in a small x pattern on opposite end of core. Blanch in boiling water for 30-45 seconds. Pull and place in ice water bath to stop cooking process. Skin will peel right off, start where you made the x and it will slide right off.  

Thanks so much for this man!  I've probably peeled 150 peaches in the last month and a half and I have hated peeling each and every one.  I'm making a cobbler tonight and will be doing this instead! 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt I missed it man.  Thanks for pointing it out! 

• TTC
    Options

Glad to be able to help!

Ikon pass 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @DoubleEgger that song has already been stuck in my head all day ;)

• TTC
    Options
    @doubleegger - I sang that song all weekend while I peeled, chopped, and packaged peaches for freezing (note to self, perhaps the 20lb case was a TAD too many peaches - though I will enjoy them for months to come)

Ikon pass 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    My wife came home last week with a sack full of peaches she picked at a local orchard here in Little Rock. I still had a bunch of jalapeno's so I made a dozen jars of jalapeno peach jelly. Turned out great. 

Little Rock, AR

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm spoiled by having in-laws with a peach orchard. I almost have to give away as much as we eat so they don't go bad. Few fruits better in the world.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    The greatest ode to peaches 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ
    That's a great pull. I haven't heard that song in forever. Now I'm going to be singing it for a week.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA