Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Myrtle Beach area

Options
Greeting my Brothers and Sisters in Eggdom-

I'm taking the family to Myrtle Beach for a vacation in a few weeks and was looking to see if anyone had suggestions on places to eat / see / visit in the area.

We always stop for a Pelican's Baseball Game, and the kids (11 & 6) want to do the giant ferris wheel on the beach.

What do you all have for suggestions?  Not into golf since back injuries years ago.....  helicopters are not my friend anymore!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    My buddy raves about Prosser's BBQ, but I still have yet to try it out for myself:

http://prossersbbq.com
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Where about are you staying?  South end, north end, middle, etc?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    A few places we like to eat... 

1 - Flying Fish Market - It is in Barefoot Landing (north end going to North Myrtle)
    2 - Tbones - It is in Barefoot Landing - Tommy Texas Cheese fries are awesome
    3 - Angelo's - It's on the south end of Myrtle Beach -  Their steaks are freaking insanely good.  
    4 - Duffy Street Seafood Shack - It's in NMB ( I think a few others, but not sure if they are as good)

A few things to do:

The sky wheel
    The aquarium at Broadway 
    The Bowery (it's a bar)
    Myrtle Beach Boardwalk
    Beach Rider Jet Boat 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Thanks @tarheelmatt!  We are northern end of Myrtle Beach, but I am very familiar with NMB.  Had a condo there as a kid at Ocean Creek right at the NMB line.

Wife is calling the place the Sea Witch, but I think its the Sea Watch.  Supposed to have a crapload of pools and landing pad for kids....

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Where in Myrtle Beach? I stay in North Myrtle Beach and Cherry Grove.

Tupelo Honey Cafe, Benny Rappas, Midtown Bistro, Mr. Fish, Gary's Dogs, Hamburger Joes, Berry's Seafood, Sea Merchants, The Shack for restaurants. Parson's Table in Little River.

The first 3 are "nice" places and those including Mr. Fish should have reservations made. Benny Rappas is pretty small in terms of the dining room, but they have Italian classics and do GREAT things with seafood. I had seafood fra diavolo the last time I was there and it was amazing. Mr. Fish has really good seafood and it is near the 17 business/bypass split and 82nd ave parkway. TH Cafe serves Southern Cuisine and Midtown is also Italian-based.

Berry's is a dive place that is a seafood counter that will cook your food for a couple bucks added onto the price of the fresh seafood. They have some tables and chairs plus some gaming consoles(Pac Man) in a corner and some picnic tables outside. If you go, get the Trigger fish blackened, if they have it. Flounder and Grouper too. Also get an order of Hush puppies. The Shack is right next door and also does Southern style food. I like to go there for lunch and dinner.

When I'm there, I typically cook so I go through a lot of fresh seafood. I get that at Berry's or Eugene Platts, which is right down the street.

In terms of activities, there is a carnival in NMB off of Ocean Drive and Main Street. We typically hang out on the beach all day otherwise, and use one day to take a day trip to Charleston. Mini-golf is always fun for an after-dinner event with the kids. There is also the Kitsch-y dinner theater stuff, House of Blues, Alabama Theater and the like, but I'm not really into that stuff. Pirates Voyage is supposed to be pretty good. It's like a Super duper Medieval Times.

There is also the water park off of 17 down by 10th N in MB and the one by the beach where the ferris wheel is.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Heard that Midtown is pretty good.  We stay in NMB too.  The last time, at Avista Resort, which I thought was a great place to stay.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    When I take my family to that area we stay in Cherry Grove.  Now it's starting to get over congested like the rest of the MB area.

I'd make time to travel down to Murrell's Inlet and have dinner at a place along the Marsh Walk.  

We drive the few minutes north into Callabash, NC and go shopping and hit Callabash Creamery for some amazing ice cream.  (The owner is an Egghead and on this site). 

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My kids are now adults.....so don't really travel there very often. We prefer the less crowded relaxing scene (Edisto or maybe Kiawah Island)....if you know what I mean.

Just wanted to say that we appreciate you visiting our state and dropping some coin into our economy. Pleasant travels and enjoy yourself while here. We do have some great coastline here.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

1 - Flying Fish Market - It is in Barefoot Landing (north end going to North Myrtle)
    3 - Angelo's - It's on the south end of Myrtle Beach -  Their steaks are freaking insanely good.  
    4 - Duffy Street Seafood Shack - It's in NMB ( I think a few others, but not sure if they are as good)

A few things to do:

The sky wheel
    The aquarium at Broadway 
    The Bowery (it's a bar)
    Myrtle Beach Boardwalk
    Beach Rider Jet Boat 

You want the original one on Sea Mountain Highway and Duffy Street. It's the Cherry Grove area of NMB.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

YEMTrey said:
    When I take my family to that area we stay in Cherry Grove.  Now it's starting to get over congested like the rest of the MB area.

I'd make time to travel down to Murrell's Inlet and have dinner at a place along the Marsh Walk.  

We drive the few minutes north into Callabash, NC and go shopping and hit Callabash Creamery for some amazing ice cream.  (The owner is an Egghead and on this site). 

Agree on the Creamery. Get the kitchen sink if you want to SGH it.

Snooky's in Little River is a great bar/restaurant on the ICW. Get some beers, boom boom shrimp, and watch the boats go by.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

A few things to do:

The sky wheel
    The aquarium at Broadway 
    The Bowery (it's a bar)
    Myrtle Beach Boardwalk
    Beach Rider Jet Boat 

You want the original one on Sea Mountain Highway and Duffy Street. It's the Cherry Grove area of NMB.
    Ahh.. Yeah, the one we were near was on Main St., just south.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    You can rent jet skis at the marina by Snooky's too.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I've always wanted to that...
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    +1what @tarheelmatt  said! We love The Flying Fish Market. Also the old Dixie Stampeed is now a pirate dinner show I think it's called Pirates Voyage? Food is typical dinner/show stuff (not a fan) but the show is fun  
    http://piratesvoyage.com
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Place we really enjoy, but is a chain, is California Dreaming.  They have one of the BEST salad dressings I have ever eaten.  Hot bacon honey mustard.  Comes with two little bowls.  One is the bacon fat sauce and the other is honey mustard.  It's incredible.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Fiesta Mexicana is a good place too. Awesome margaritas and the shrimp enchilada were fantastic.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

The creamery will be a hit with us!  Hope he responds here so I know his name!

• DaveRichardson
    Options

After an "incident" with jet skis on our honeymoon, that's gonna fall into the "Negative Ghost Rider" category with my wife!!!

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    If you want to go out and splurge one night, this place was outstanding when I went last year.  Expensive, but worth a one time visit.  They go "Pittsburg" style unless you request otherwise.  Very tasty.  

http://www.newyorkprime.com/myrtle-beach/
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

The creamery will be a hit with us!  Hope he responds here so I know his name!
    His handle here is @Newbbqer  Just checked his profile and is says he hasn't been active since June 2014.  His name is Greg and he's a really nice guy.  The creamery is doing so well he's very busy.  Hopefully he's doing well, and you're able to stop in there.  The ice cream is very good.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Hamburger Joe's in NMB and Seafood Shack in Calabash. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    You can stay at my house. My renters didn't pay the rent this month. If someone's staying for free it may as well be an egghead. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Check out Longbeards. The food is really good. Cool atmosphere. 
    GWN
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Dang @jeremiah!  Sucks about the renters!  

Thanks, all for the input!  Its impressive that we can take care of each other this fast!

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Ok, last call. Just pulled into town and heading to the ballpark for a minor league baseball game!