Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg makes Ham Radio Debut

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am an Amateur Radio operator (KJ4HI) and every year at the end of June we take our antennas and radios to the field for a 24 hour exercise simulating emergency conditions. This training paid off as we did it for real 4 times during the hurricanes in Florida! As part of generating our own power and living in campers and tents, we also cook our own meals...Enter Egg stage left. Well, this year the guys have encouraged me to bring the Egg. How could I turn down such a devoted group of public servants? So, now what to make for 15 to 20 hungry guys? Ribs will be the main meal. I though chicken wings might be a treat or even some ABTs even though I have never made them. Any other suggestions from seasoned Eggers? Field Day is June 25 and 26 rain or shine... It always rains![p]Uncle Phil
KJ4HI

Comments

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Uncle Phil,[p]considering your real challenge is setting up the rigs, building an antenna farm, etc., I'd work on something you can get ready ahead of time. chix wings sounds like a great idea., and the ribs can be all set up to go early as well. I'm not sure how far ahead of time you can make the ABT's and keep them prior to cooking, but no reason you couldn't try it.[p]best, HS
    .-- .- --... --.. -.-. -.--
    wa7zcy

• Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    I kine of wondered if there was another Ham on here. Well, you certainly know Field Day. I will have some neat pix of the guys, the food and the fun. Are you having Field Day?[p]73,[p]Phil.
    KJ4HI

• Unknown
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    You can't go wrong with a rack full of bratworst. [p]Jerry

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Uncle Phil, I good pot of chile in bowls made from french bread!

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    there is one in this area, but I'm not going to be able to get to it this year... I do like your idea of draggin' the egg along![p]73, Dugal

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    tach18k, When you're hungry and in the field anything will do, but to bring an egg along, wow.[p]Maybe one of you can get me active again. I am K1ELT and have held that call for 45 plus years. I was also formerly W4VYJ.[p]I wonder if the egg would make a good repeater.[p]cq dx
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ajay,
    now I get it!!! That metal cart of yours is really a secret ham radio tower! Man you are clever!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Been a egg head for 1 year and ham for 13 years. Love the egg and the forum. Jon k5wc em44

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Uncle Phil,[p]WR4P here. It's great to see other hams using the BGE. Big Green Eggs and Ham. Seems like there's a Dr. Seuss book about such! I'd go with pulled pork. It's inexpensive at Sams Club ($1.42 per pound here in Spartanburg, SC) and the smell all night long will make your other club members giddy with excitement/hunger. CWM's baked beans and some cole slaw make the meal. I love doing Boston Butts as you can walk away from them with a low n slow. 20 hours later or so people think you're a BBQ god!
    --... ...--
    Jimbo[p]

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    JPF,[p]Egg head for 1 year (started last Fathers' Day) and ham for 24 years.
    Jim WR4P

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...