Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp readings seem not to make sense

Options
SfScott
SfScott Posts: 11
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
I was smoking a brisket over the weekend, and my grid-level probe on my Guru CyberQ was reading 250.  The built in dome thermometer in the egg was lower.  Shouldn't the dome, even on low and slow be higher?  Any way to take off the dome thermometer and check calibration?

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Yes stick it in boiling water, should read 212, if it is original probe there will be a nut on stem you can turn to adjust. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,528
    Options
    As above-and after adjusting out the off-set (if there is one) then recheck it in the boiling water before putting back in the BGE.  And there are enough variables in where various temperatures can be measured in the BGE that differences will always exist.  Beware of information overload.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    was grid level probe over the plate setter? if it was directly over coals it'll read higher.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Had the same problem with my thermometer.  I tested it in boiling water and found it needed to be calibrated.  No problems since.  
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7