Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

short ribs

Options
I experimented with some short ribs after many failed attempts with beef back ribs (tough, not enough meat, just bad all around, no matter how many different methods I tried).  This was a totally different experience, I wish I took more pics.  But did these guys indirect at around 250 for 6 hours til internal got to 200 degrees, I was hoping for 205, but got impatient/hungry.  A few taste testers said this is by far the best thing that has come off the egg and this is after some highly praised babybacks and brisket.   It was easy, tender, flavorful with just the right amount of fat.  My new go to and only $5 lb.  I cut the original piece in half to form two separate two bone portions.  I might do it whole next time to decrease the bark to meat ratio as the rub, which was a mixture of DP red eye and swamp venom, was a little overpowering (something I never thought I would say).

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    No braising? Just indirect for 6 hours? I had short-ribs on a cruise last week and have been searching out recipes ever since - craving them!  Yours look great.
    New Orleans LA
  • Lostboy
    Lostboy Posts: 9
    Options
    No braising, no wrapping them either.  They had enough fat to stay tender and not dry out and formed a great crust.  I was worried they would be tough, but it was almost like a combination of brisket (a consistency somewhere in the middle of a point and flat) and a babyback pork rib.  I did put a water bath in under it and sprayed it with apple juice every 2 hours or so.