Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

250 and topless

Options
jad
jad Posts: 70
I always cook topless :) today I wanted to cook at 250 but seems like my large BGE won't go below 300 without a top.
should not effect this cook but I see a SS cap in my very near future 
Cary NC

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I've always had a theory that, even though hot air rises,  in low-airflow conditions (such as 250 F and below) that exhaust may flow out the chimney, but I'll bet some cold, fresh air also rushes in simultaneously.  
    I use the metal cap with the daisy wheel closed but the petals open, any time I'm doing 250 or lower, and do fine adjustments with the lower door.  Anything higher than that, I leave the metal cap off.  FWIW.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The dome (and interior temp) is based on the fire volume.  The size of the fire is directly related to the air-flow within the BGE once you have the fire going.  So, you can throttle at the "goes in" or "goes out"( think garden hose).  Now if you have previously been able to get your BGE to cook in the 200*F range and now it won't then you have a source of air (gasket leak?) that wasn't there before.  FWIW-  good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.