Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Pizza (pix)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
Best one I've egged up thus far.  Used the copycat recipe for Mellow Mushroom's pizza dough -- although I used all purpose flour instead of bread flour.  Took me more than 3.5 cups of the all purpose to get a nice consistency, but it turned out phenomenal!  Will not be buying store bought from now on, unless I'm in a pinch for time.  

http://shutternspice.com/mellow-mushroom-pizza-dough-copycat/

Marinara, Mozzarella, Tomatoes, Sausage, Pepperoni, Bacon, Green Peppers, Onions and Crushed Garlic.  Crust was brushed with butter along with some fresh Parmesan.  

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Never had Mellow Mushroom but that pie looks good to me. Nicely done!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mellow Mushroom has a good recipe. Regardless of the recipe you still have to get the pie to look right. And that you most certainly did. NAILED IT!  
    For your viewing pleasure :wink: 
    https://youtu.be/Nt4S_O-FVw8
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding looking pie, and I'm sure tasting!!  Still working on that kind of result!  Great job!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Great looking pie, I'll have to give that dough a try. Thanks for posting.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That would have won the throw down. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    :clap: 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Dude... That's one mighty fine lookin pizza
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Awesome. We did pizzas tonight as well and while they were good they were not that good. I decided it's time to try a new dough recipe and thanks to you I'll try this one. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I Salute You. Almost too good looking to eat. I rarely take the time to even make mine round. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Navigator
    Navigator Posts: 56
    Options
    That's a fine looking pizza! 
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    WOW!! :bow: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx fellas'!  @Jstroke , actually it was really easy to get this particular dough to shape.  I can never do it that well with store bought.  Also, the molasses gave the dough an awesome flavor (not too many people know, but moles really do have some tasty a$$es :lol:). Sorry, couldn't resist.   
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Excellent pie!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That is probably the prettiest pie I've seen here. Freaking awesome 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Wish mine looked that good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• EggNashville
    EggNashville Posts: 243
    Options
    What size egg, set up and cook temp/time?

haven't tried a pie yet...but yours looks amazing!
  • orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    Options
    i found the secret to great pizzas on the egg is not so much time temp or recipe, but the flour makes ALL the difference.  I picked up some 00 fine caputo flour and made my dough the night before and let it cool rise in the fridge.  My understanding is that standard flours you get in the store are malted and that makes them brown nicely in standard oven temps for the "perfect" golden brown at 350-425.  Obviously on the egg, going higher than that makes it over brown.  the caputo flour is not malted and stands up to a 500-600+ oven without turning overly brown.  I found with the new flour the egg is way forgiving on time and temps and makes a great pie every time now.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx guys!  @EggNashville , that's a Large BGE with the AR and oval stone.  Standard SS grid raised on top.  Pizza stone on top of that.  Preheat stone for about 20 min at 450ish deg f.  Pizza took about 10 or so minutes.  Didn't time it.