Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and pork shoulder

Options
Lawman58
Lawman58 Posts: 79
this is my first time doing both together. I was planning on 250 degrees. Any idea how long it should take?  Is this temp ok and not dry out the meat?  Anyone suggestions would be great!! 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    What size are each? Will you be able to fit them on one level without touching or will you tier?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I am going to put them on the same level they are smaller cuts. Brisket 6lbs each already trimmed and shoulder about 8lbs each. At least I hope they all fit. On a large BGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd plan 1 to 1.5 hrs/lb for each but that could vary some. Both can be ftc'd without any problem so pull each when they are done and you can hold them for mutiple hours. Hopefully you can get them both on without touching one another. Make sure if either cut extends over the edge of the platesetter that you put foil under that portion to protect the meat from direct heat. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Sounds good thanks for the help. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Good luck. Remember to post pics.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth   In doing the tier system cook does the juices from the pork on top of the brisket make a difference in the taste?  Think I may need to do the tier system. Meat is bigger than I thought. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I've never done it but it certainly could. It will definitely affect the bark.
    Options
    A better option might be to do one of the meats first and ftc it. Do the other meat "turbo" to shorten its cook time. Do a search for turbo and you'll find a number of threads discussing that method.
    Options
    That's a tight fit. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out,
    Options
    Looks good so far @Lawman.  For what it is worth, I have tiered butt above brisket flat a few years ago and to my recollection liked it.  I got comfortable with the strategy because some suggest putting bacon on lean brisket flats to replace some fat cap, so I figured there isn't much difference.  If the bark is a concern, then I would give the brisky a 2 or 3 hour head start so the bark can start to set before the butts start significant rendering.  Just a thought for next time.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Lawman58
    Options
    Thanks @QingEsq for the extra help.  This is my first combo and wasn't sure about pork on top of beef. Sure will try next time.  @TexanOfTheNorth it was a little tight but made it happen
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Lawman58 said:
    Thanks @QingEsq for the extra help.  This is my first combo and wasn't sure about pork on top of beef. Sure will try next time.  @TexanOfTheNorth it was a little tight but made it happen
    I'm sure it turned out great and was enjoyed by all!

Any after pics?
    Options
    Lawman one thing to always remember in the back of your mind is that pork fat makes almost everything taste better. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Lawman58
    Options
    Here is the brisket looks pretty good just came off. Pork came off at 0530 and looked just as good. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nice! Any plated pics?
  • Lawman58
    Options
    Here is the pork. Cooked a little too long but still good. 
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks good to me!  Well done.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Great looking results @Lawman58!
    Options
    Brisket turned out pretty good.  Seemed a little dry.  Everyone liked it and ate it all.