Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt

Options
BKing
BKing Posts: 16
BBQ is going to be my second cook on my new BGE. A buddy of mine suggested to salt and pepper it and "slather" it up with Frenchs yellow mustard for a overnight soaking. Cook with plate setter at 200 for 6-7 hours. I'm not a big yellow mustard fan so I've been looking at all kinds of recipes. What's the best way to do a Boston Butt on my grill?

Comments

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Good luck!

I would shoot for temp around 250-275 indirect (with plate setter)...I did a spice rub on my pork shoulder a couple weeks ago with a base of yellow mustard but you could definitely use olive oil instead if you don't like a mustard flavor. I also used a spray bottle every 30-60 min with hot sauce, apple cider vinegar and apple juice to add flavor and help a bark develop. It took me about 8 hours and I didn't have a huge piece of meat (4-5lbs) so I would definitely up your temp. Also threw some apple wood in as well for smoke flavor. 
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I always inject with apple juice, rub and apple cider vinegar, rub down with our homemade rub(salt pepper  Turbinado sugar,  granulated garlic, onion and  smoked  paprika).  I also put a little evoo on the outside to help the rub stick.  You can use mustard you won't tast it.  Then it's all about temp control and smoke wood selection.  Fruitwood a are mild and light tasting. Feel free to mix it up with a little something else say oak for example.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Here it is nice and simple.  Plate setter legs up. 235-260 temp.  Rubbed with bad byrons and dizzy pig swamp venom.  Let that sit overnight.  Inject an hour before you put it on the egg. Make sure you have plenty of smoking wood.  I prefer apple or pecan.  Put it on the egg and walk away.  No foil and no spraying.  Cook it to 195-205 internal.  You will have great bark and a moist piece of meat. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You can use mustard + rub of your own choosing and will not have any taste of mustard on the finished product.  The mustard is only used as a binding agent to hold more rub on the meat.  One could also use EVOO, vegetable oil or mayonnaise.  
    I tend to cook my butts at 240-275 with great results.  As a matter of fact the last one I did at 275 and it was the best to date.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    I did 2 on Monday and were a huge hit.  Between 4 adults, not much left. Apple juice in pan underneath. I covered in yellow mustard the night before, and got some strange looks, but everyone loved it !  Good luck, keep lid closed and it's like opening a Christmas present !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • BKing
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I did a yellow mustard and pork spice rub all over and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Got the egg going and regulated the temp at 275. Spread apple chips throughout the coals, and injected the meat with apple juice. Can't wait to eat!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Consider getting chunks instead of chips next time you're at the store, they work better in the egg, last longer, easier.
  • Legume
    Options
    ...also, watch them temp on that, if you plan to eat tonight, you may have to bump the temp.  What is that, 5-6 lbs?
  • BKing
    Options
    Legume said:
    ...also, watch them temp on that, if you plan to eat tonight, you may have to bump the temp.  What is that, 5-6 lbs?
    It's a 5 1/2 pounder. It's cooking at between 280 and 290. I didn't see the chunks, I'll look again next time I go. Thanks for the advice!
  • Legume
    Options
    Now I want pulled pork.  Damn forum.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Good start @BKing . I agree @Legume , debating running to the store for a small butt to turbo for dinner......
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BKing
    Options
    Someone mentioned above cook until internal temp was at 190-205... My thermometer reads pork to be done @ 160... What gives best results?
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    BKing said:
    Someone mentioned above cook until internal temp was at 190-205... My thermometer reads pork to be done @ 160... What gives best results?
    At 160 it'll be done but it won't be pull apart tender.  You'll need to go closer to 200 for that.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • BKing
    Options
    Ok will stick it out and leave alone! Thanks
  • BKing
    Options
    I've stalled out at 165 internal temperature cooking at 290. It's been on for 5 hours and stalled for 1 1/2. Should I up the grill temp or wait it out??
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks great. It your not worried about time let it ride. It'll have good bark. If your bit for time, wrap it in foil and finish. Also when it gets around 190° just go by feel. It should probe like butter. If it doesn't probe easy it won't pull easy. Also, you can always chop it instead of pulling. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming