Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Box for camping with Medium BGE

Eggheads, Do any of you bring a chuck box with your BGE when you go camping? I am looking for a compact and functional chuck box for dishes, spices, cookware, and maybe some boxed and canned goods. TIA
XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
Northern Virgina

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    edited June 2015
    I use this one for my tailgating. You can get unfinished kit and assemble it yourself. (much cheaper). I actually have a couple. I finished mine with the U of SC Baseball logo. It is also distressed to look old. They are built in the Denver area and are very well constructed. Go out and take a look. Check out their website....

http://mycampkitchen.com/

Sky is the principal who I have enjoyed working with over the years. Her father designed and builds them. I moved up from a Balsam Birch to a Marine grade wood (Okoume) with my second one. It sits beside my egg today, covered but is more conducive for the humidity of the south when permanently left out side. The first one however....has been no problems for my tailgating habits. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    edited June 2015
    Here it is empty and with the shelf extenders. Reach out to me directly if you would like to talk...I may let this one go...you would probably want to remove the logo though.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    That is a great idea - I'm going to make one.  Thanks.
    Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Awesome! I just bookmarked this post. I checked the website - the prices are a bit too rich for me. I got already too much invested in my egg(s) my SWMBO would never go for this.

Think I'll make my own. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • northGAcock
    SoCal....I have just the one for you.....you would not have to remove the SC logo on it. I got mine unfinished and on sale. I think they drop the price a couple of times a year for the holidays and a summer sale...... but well constructed. If interested.....reach out to me....you might be pleasantly surprised.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    PM sent
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,665
    We used to make these in the Boy Scouts. I learned to cook out of a chuck box =)  The ones we made used the legs as carrying handles (like an old stretcher). 
  • JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    ... Zing Zang... the finest Bloody Mary when sailing... the plastic bottle doesn't hurt either!
    JC
    Atlanta, GA
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Here it is empty and with the shelf extenders. Reach out to me directly if you would like to talk...I may let this one go...you would probably want to remove the logo though.
    Lol, Damn I just noticed this today. I will check out mycampkitchen. I think this is what I am looking for. Just not sure if I want to pay the same amount as my XL BGE. lol
    Northern Virgina
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189

You might want to copy, paste and Google this phrase:    My ideal camping Chuck box (cheap, light, organized)       It is on another forum and I will not link to it directly.

This guy has made one from one of the large plastic tote boxes and it is very compact and may suit your needs. If you need the table top, it could be placed on one of the Sam's club folding tables.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    I just happened to be surfing the web this morning and came across this example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN8PJGzWJIY&feature=youtu.be

There are quite a few additional options shown on that page as well.

Hope this helps;
    JC
    Atlanta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow!! I've never seen a chuck box before. Those are pretty cool.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    @JC5404L , I saw the video on facebook yesterday. This is exactly what I was looking for, but damn if I can't find any instructions or plans to build one, lol. Thanks for looking out.
    Northern Virgina
  • northGAcock
    I thought I would post this as I received by email. This could get you some really good deals....but would require you to pick them up in Denver area.....another good reason to make THE TRIP!

Craigs list  http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5080427931.html

While we are not this super decked out Tear Drop, we can make however your camp come close. And for those of you in Colorado, we have a sale you might be interested in.

We are selling prototypes, used camp kitchens and kitchens with slight flaws or blemishes, as well as some gear used for demos. See our Craig's List Ad ad for details.

Sincerely,

SKySnogren and Team 

My Camp Kitchen™