Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New or old design....warranty replacenment....

Options
We have an XL that we got back in 04 or so. The top of the fire ring is 2" from the felt. Have sent Bruce the info he requested to start the warranty process....can't help but wonder if I will be getting the newer firebox to replace my cracked one? If so, will my fire ring and place setter work with it?

Comments

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I think pics of what you have should goto Bruce...Might cut down on a few
    reship/return it iterations..  Just my 2cents
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I went through a similar deal with my XL many years ago.
    Bruce will take good care of you at BGE.
    From what I remember the newer firebox is a little shorter. I hear it was to give a little more clearance for larger cooks like a big turkey.
    You should not have any issues.
    Do you have the older, original plate setter with the very short legs or the newer one?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    My place setter has 3/4" or so long legs. I am hoping that with the new firebox that it drops the top of the fire ring down to 3" so I can use some of the Ceramic Grill Stores equipment. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Not exactly the world's most patient man...hope to hear back from Bruce today...
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    ... place setter ...
    Plate setter ...

Also, thanks for using plate setter rather than that dumb "convEGGtor" name.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dougcrann
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    ... place setter ...
    Plate setter ...

Was calling it a pizza stone on a different forum...my ears are still ringing from the chewing out I got lol....
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    My place setter has 3/4" or so long legs. I am hoping that with the new firebox that it drops the top of the fire ring down to 3" so I can use some of the Ceramic Grill Stores equipment. 
    Good point. The shorter box should give you the extra room. Sounds like you do have the original short legged plate setter. One of my legs broke off so I cut them all off and turned it into a large, tri shapped pizza stone. I now use it with my Ceramic Grill Store "Flip Ring" and "Adj Rig". Both are fantastic...
    Bruce is a one man show, give him a little time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

I'm not allowed to use the "C" word...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dougcrann
    Options
    I have been chatting with a fellow selling a Large BGE. When we have burgers, flank, chicken thighs etc the XL is simply a bit too big for us. Have decided to hold off buying it until I get the replacement parts for the XL. Noticed that the Ceramic Grill Store has lump reducing rings.....can't help but wonder how they work in the XL?
  • Photo Egg
    edited June 2015
    Options

I like the lump ring for the XL. Can keep it in the center for high heat and use the space around the outer cooking grate as indirect lower temp. Or push it to the back or to one side. Also works great with a Wok. Sorry, poor photo of the sear. I did not dry the steaks after the wet marinade.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas