Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doctors Issue Warning

Options
tkleager
tkleager Posts: 539
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Guess I'll just burn off my grates from now on.

Doctors Issue Warnings About Cleaning Grills with a Wire Brush
No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I saw something like this last summer too.  I'm pretty sure it's an annual warning. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Let me piggy back on your post please.  We threw out all of our wire brush cleaning brushes.  Also threw out the pumice stones ... kept seeing little pieces of grit left on the grill.  That left us with burn it off.  Finally stumbled upon this type of brush:

They also make a long handled brush with the brillo pad-like cleaning unit.  So, have others tried this brush?  Like it?  Answer the concern expressed in the Doc's warning.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Turfed all my wire brushes last year after a similar warning from a doctor on the forum..I just use a scrunched up piece of Alo. foil.. Works great.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Let me piggy back on your post please.  We threw out all of our wire brush cleaning brushes.  Also threw out the pumice stones ... kept seeing little pieces of grit left on the grill.  That left us with burn it off.  Finally stumbled upon this type of brush:

They also make a long handled brush with the brillo pad-like cleaning unit.  So, have others tried this brush?  Like it?  Answer the concern expressed in the Doc's warning.
    Interesting, I will have to try and find this. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Ball up a sheet of aluminum foil......works great!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I just use the scraper part of the brush like you see here

to get the heavy stuff off.  The brass bristles came off of it years ago in my old gasser.

Just found the article and video interesting as I was surfing during my lunch hour.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    And remember, don't drive your cars anymore. PEOPLE DIE IN THEM.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Jeepster47
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... that picture was taken an my local Ace Hardware.  Charcoal Companion also makes a similar item ... bought mine from Amazon.com.

I never used aluminum foil because my son claimed, in his experience, some of the aluminum rubbed off on the grill.  So, skipped over that approach.

Another option that I just saw on Smokeware's website is the "Scrapestation Grill Scraper" ... anybody used this grill cleaner?  It's a red oak grill cleaner that conforms to your grill rod spacing by burning grooves in the edge from the heat.  http://www.smokeware.com/collections/featured/products/scrapesation-grill-scraper

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... that picture was taken an my local Ace Hardware.  Charcoal Companion also makes a similar item ... bought mine from Amazon.com.

I never used aluminum foil because my son claimed, in his experience, some of the aluminum rubbed off on the grill.  So, skipped over that approach.

Another option that I just saw on Smokeware's website is the "Scrapestation Grill Scraper" ... anybody used this grill cleaner?  It's a red oak grill cleaner that conforms to your grill rod spacing by burning grooves in the edge from the heat.  http://www.smokeware.com/collections/featured/products/scrapesation-grill-scraper

I know it's going to be hard to believe but I do have one of the Scrapestation Grill Scraper red oak planks. I picked it up at the Georgia fest as well. Seemed very strange at first but it does work well.lol
    Made from very oak planks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    And the point of your logical fallacy is?
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty sure i got the idea from @RRP ... stainless steel paint remover brushes are far better constructed than grill brushes ... I haven't found a single bristle in over a year.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    The wooden scraper sounds like a good idea, but do you change to cast iron, or a different grate sometimes, maybe use an aftermarket second level???  What to do if those bars aren't spaced the same???

I'm a burn it off with heat then it usually only takes a light scrub with a ball of foil to get the rest off.

I know that some guys use oven cleaner, but I'm not that patient..... nor attentive!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jeepster47
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    I agree that people die in cars, so that means you should buy/drive smart.  That is don't buy a Smart car that offers very little protection.  Instead buy much larger, well protected vehicle with lots of steel wrapped around you.

Same with the brushes.  Folks have been using the bristle brushes for years, but why continue to do it when there are other more safe options available?

• tfhanson
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    My point, let's not overract.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    After the last thread on this subject, I followed somebody's suggestion and bought a brick trowel.  Works fine for me!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    FWIW, I've eaten a bristle.  Luckily it lodged in my gums instead of my throat or intestine.  This was food I was serving to my kids.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Tin foil works!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    tfhanson said:
    It's not an overreaction. 

Swallowing a steel bristle can be quite injurious. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a couple of these. I'll just leave the link. They have good reviews from what I've seen. http://www.thegreatscrape.com/ https://youtu.be/lU87UQo5n3M
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tfhanson
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    tfhanson said:

I guess for you it isn't, for me it is.  Lots of things in our daily lives are far more dangeours than a one in a million chance of getting a bristle off a brush. My guess would be it's about as common as winning the lottery.  Yes, people do win the lottery, almost weekly, but it is not common at all.  My point was far more people get hurt in cars on an HOURLY basis then people do weekly from BBQ brush bristles.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    @tfhanson guess I should buy a loto ticket then.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    so don't use a wire grill brush while driving? 
  • tfhanson
    Options
    so don't use a wire grill brush while driving? 
    There you go, you got it.
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options

I once drank out of a non BPA free bottle, used bug spray with real DEET, and did not wear gloves while using my wire brush to scrape my grill grate.  By the grace of god I'm still here. 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    tfhanson said:
    tfhanson said:

I guess for you it isn't, for me it is.  Lots of things in our daily lives are far more dangeours than a one in a million chance of getting a bristle off a brush. My guess would be it's about as common as winning the lottery.  Yes, people do win the lottery, almost weekly, but it is not common at all.  My point was far more people get hurt in cars on an HOURLY basis then people do weekly from BBQ brush bristles.
    I don't know how you quantify this since one is a unmeasured statistic, your hyperbole aside. I know it anecdotally since I've seen patients with perforated bowel from it. 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    nlovold said:

I once drank out of a non BPA free bottle, used bug spray with real DEET, and did not wear gloves while using my wire brush to scrape my grill grate.  By the grace of god I'm still here. 

Sure, but now knowing what can happen with prolong use, and with readily available safer alternatives, why go back? Sure it might not happen to you, but it could. If you have to make a choice, why not go safer?

a broken clock is right twice a day, but also wrong the other 99.86% of the time.
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a couple of these. I'll just leave the link. They have good reviews from what I've seen. http://www.thegreatscrape.com/ https://youtu.be/lU87UQo5n3M
    I think I've got some oak on the basement. Project Accepted! 
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    maso said:
    nlovold said:

Sure, but now knowing what can happen with prolong use, and with readily available safer alternatives, why go back? Sure it might not happen to you, but it could. If you have to make a choice, why not go safer?

a broken clock is right twice a day, but also wrong the other 99.86% of the time.

I hear ya @maso I was mostly joking around.  This has been brought up several times here and my main takeaway is not to use cheapo products around food.  I've used the Weber stainless wire brush for years where the bristles are twisted in the handle.  If this product is unsafe, we all have bigger problems.  The same design is used in plumbers soldering brushes and just about every house's water supply has seen one of those brushes.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    @nlovold , I agree, there are definitely some places that one shouldn't scimp. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK