Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on AR

Options

Well, I'm a convert. Used the AR to do pizza for the first time tonight. No indirect stone - just the AR, with the oval grate on the top level, with the pizza stone sitting on it. Pizza was the best I've done on the egg; perfect crust. Don't think I'll be going back to using the indirect stone on pizza again.

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Those look great. What temp did you cook at? I cook on my AR with rig extender but use the indirect stone. And while they are always good sometimes the crust gets done before the toppings are ready.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Those look great. What temp did you cook at? I cook on my AR with rig extender but use the indirect stone. And while they are always good sometimes the crust gets done before the toppings are ready.
    I cooked at 500 - I did 6 pizzas and throughout the entire cook there was a +/- 10 degree swing either way. The thing about going direct is that you don't have to wait an hour to get the pizza stone up to temp. I probably gave my stone about 30 mins at 500 degrees. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Solid and good info thanks.
    Seattle, WA
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Thanks for the details. Will try that next time.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @bweekes ... 12 inch stone?

I have a 16 inch stone that I tried to use on top of my PSWoo2 extension to get it away from the fire like you did.  Trouble is, that between the normal plate setter and the 16 inch stone so high in the dome, the temp stalled out well below pizza temp.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    I have had the same problem with a 16" stone high in the dome of a large egg.
    Wondering how a 14 in in the large egg any thoughts?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    great looking pizza.

@jeepster47 and @kcw,  just use the 16 stone, no other indirect piece.  have an even burn across the lump, so as the heat rises it hits the bottom of the stone evenly.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @tjv ... thanks Tom, will try that next time.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    @Jeepster47 and @kcw - yes I use a 12" stone. I haven't used a 16" stone, but remember, I went direct (i.e., no platesetter). As @tjv says, maybe try the 16" stone raised on the woo2, with no platesetter. 
    Ajax, ON Canada