Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TurboStream

Options
Did anyone else buy this product at the GA Mtn Eggfest?

I'm looking forward to using it tomorrow.
Marietta, Ga
I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    What does it do? I mean I read the hype on the box, but don't get the real picture - speaking of which can you take it out of the box for us? TIA
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I did check out the website and it is sharp looking. Guess its a good idea? I just dont think I need it.    Yet...
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I bought the same as you plus the 2-piece platesetter/diffuser. I'm like you I can't wait to try the thing out. The distributor was very knowledgeable and said he had used it for the last few months or year. It looks as if it will save me on lump and therefor pay for itself. If you use yours before I get to use mine please post results. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    Options
    I do a lot of reverse sear and think this will work great. When I try it out I will post pics take-off to touchdown (got that line from SGH)!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I talked to the dude while we were at the lodge, but forgot to go see him at the fest. Too busy stuffing my face. Look forward to your reviews. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I spoke with him at length, a really nice guy.  Really a neat product, but I personally don't see a need for it. It'll be interesting to see how it takes off, and its uses. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • chupacabra
    chupacabra Posts: 77
    Options
    Here is the TurboStream.  I bought the piece that let's you cook by using minimal lump in the large.  Tonight I'm cooking some green lightning chicken and I will use this since I will only need half the egg and not much lump.  
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    So it's basically an elevated lump reducing ring? Interesting.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • chupacabra
    Options
    @Scottborasjr this piece is...I think it would be most useful for those who may want a small or mini max but don't want to buy one.  I have a joe jr but I still wanted this piece.  I really liked the guy and wanted to give it a shot!

Marietta, Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think it would be useful to create an indirect zone (by placing a half-round stone on the elevated ring) and still have a direct zone available. I have thought of rigging something like that by cuttting my AR oval stone in half, but haven't got around to it yet. 

How much was it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • chupacabra
    Options
    @caliking  I think I paid $80 for it.  Once you have that ring you don't have to buy it for the other accessories he is offering.
    Marietta, Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    how heavy is that SS?  they just say heavy gauge on the website.
  • chupacabra
    Options
    @Legume  I'm not sure off the top of my head but it is heavy!  I'll see if I can email Charles to find out.  He told me at the eggfest but I had a few too many later that night to remember...
    Marietta, Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Thanks, if you gave me a number it would be lost on me (not an engineer like @theyolksonyou ), just hearing it's heavy is good for me.
  • chupacabra
    Options
    I emailed Charles and it is 304 grade, 12 gauge stainless.

Those numbers mean nothing to me either but figured I would post it in case anyone else was curious.
    Marietta, Ga
  • VANcouverEGG
    VANcouverEGG Posts: 173
    Options
    just get a grill that fits on top of the firebox. Instant lump saving for quick burns. 
  • Ospreydog
    Ospreydog Posts: 103
    Options
    A friend of mine bought one while we were at egg fest and loves it. He said it will defiantly pay for its self in lump savings. That's why I bought my mini to keep from lighting up the large for just the two of us. I will probably get one just to make the large more versital, can't have too many toys. 
  • piney
    Options
    I bought one and can't wait to use it. I was going to try it out tonight but other things happened. If anyone cooks on this please let me know what you think I feel sure this will save lump on smaller cooks. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    just get a grill that fits on top of the firebox. Instant lump saving for quick burns. 
    Great idea for searing food and many do this. But cooking all your food so low is a pain. Hard to flip and take temps with probes and you get virtually no convection heat from the dome at all.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chupacabra
    Options
    Steak sear with TurboStream!  This is a really cool tool to have in my opinion.
    ts.JPG 44.8K
    Marietta, Ga
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Any more reviews of this product?  Looks pretty slick..
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Scottborasjr this piece is...I think it would be most useful for those who may want a small or mini max but don't want to buy one.  I have a joe jr but I still wanted this piece.  I really liked the guy and wanted to give it a shot!

I got some oceanfront property in Arizona.  Just kidding, I bought lots of stuff because of nice sales people. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • piney
    Options
    I tried the one I bought, it works great. I did thick (Iowa cut) pork chops, reverse sear. It did exactly what it is designed to do...save on lump and quicker starts. I cooked 4 pork chops and had plenty of fuel for the cook, however if you had more than  5 or 6 I don't think you would have enough fuel for a reverse sear cook. That being said, that is not it's intended use it is designed for smaller cooks. I also tried the diffuser (plate setter) on another cook, works great and I think it helps to eliminate hot spots.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    Options
    I tried the one I bought, it works great. I did thick (Iowa cut) pork chops, reverse sear. It did exactly what it is designed to do...save on lump and quicker starts. I cooked 4 pork chops and had plenty of fuel for the cook, however if you had more than  5 or 6 I don't think you would have enough fuel for a reverse sear cook. That being said, that is not it's intended use it is designed for smaller cooks. I also tried the diffuser (plate setter) on another cook, works great and I think it helps to eliminate hot spots.
    Lenoir, N.C.