Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd post, 1st reverse sear

Options
FlyByWire
FlyByWire Posts: 5
Hey fellas. Ive had my LGBGE for about 2 weeks now, and have only tried cooking tri tip on it (family favorite).

Saw some decent looking filets at Costco and thought why not. 

The reverse sear thing scared me a little bit, as it seemed to have little control. I found a thread with a guy asking if he had the procedure right, and he had it typed out step by step.. I followed it to a "T".

....Holy Eff.. by far the best thing I have ever cooked for my family. Wife said it rivaled some of the higher end steak houses we like to splurge on every now and then. Felt really good to hear, even if it was BS.. haha!

I really need to build myself a table for this thing. I have no woodworking skills (or tools), but it looks easy enough?? haha.

Coming to room temp:

Resting after 115 while the egg gets scorching. THIS part scared the crap out of me, as the meat felt rare still... "no way is 90 seconds going to finish them":

OMG! After a bit of butter, and under the foil for 5 or 10...

End result. I went 90 seconds on the reverse sear over (OK, IN!) the fire. Will probably dial that back to 45-60 next time, we like a little more rare than this, but boy were they good!!!:

Wanted to say thanks for the site!! I cant wait to expand my knowledge of food on this thing. Ive never cooked ribs or a pork butt or brisket, but I cant wait to try.. haha!!

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Those look tasty!!  Good work.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Bravo! They look great!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Nailed it....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great job on first try!  They look great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Nailed it....
    I agree nailed it is right.  I usully do a minute a side at around 600 when revurse sear.  Try it in a CI skillet with some butter to sear.  Rememeber to baste it with the butter on each side as you sear it in the pan.  That's just another way to revurse sear a steak.  You can also do this with pork chops.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great job!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Solid work on those filets!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Dude!

Your wife likely speaks the truth. We never order steak out. My wife scolds me for ordering anything I cook at home because I'm never happy. 
  • Iron_Clad
    Iron_Clad Posts: 5
    Options
    looks awesome - do you have a the link to the instructions handy?
    Eastern NC
  • smokinflag
    smokinflag Posts: 5
    Options
    Looks awesome.  I'd love to see the link too if possible.  Try reverse sear pork chops next!
  • FlyByWire
    FlyByWire Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't have the thread any more, but this was what the member was double checking:
    • 2 6.5oz filets (approx 1.5-2" thick)
    • Season filets w/ sea salt, pepper
    • Indirect heat at 250d
    • Place filets on grate (Do I need to put anything below to catch the juices?)
    • IT of 115d (for medium rare)
    • Take off grill, remove place setter
    • Get BGE hot as hell
    • Seer filets each side 1 to 1.5 minutes
    • Take filets off BGE, small slice of butter on top of steak while resting for 5 minutes
    I rested them on a cooling rack at the suggestion of another member. 

I don't have a cast iron pan that will fit in the LG egg, but its something I want to grab. 

Thanks for the comments!!!
  • Iron_Clad
    Iron_Clad Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks
    Eastern NC