Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap or no Smokeware cap...I can't decide

Options
My kamado was FINALLY delivered on Monday after weeks of waiting.  I can't decide if I want to add the Smokeware cap or not. It seems most have good experiences--but a few reviews mentioned it's not easy to maintain low and slow temps due to more air getting in from the top.  I've played around with the daisy wheel and I seem to have no problems opening and closing and maintaining the daisy wheel position.  I'm most interested in the Smokeware cap for being able to BBQ in the rain through the pop-up showers in the South.  Any thoughts?

By the way, first cook pics will be coming soon.  I thawed a rack of baby backs and I have 4 bone-in chicken breasts I plan to use to make some jerk chicken.  It should be a good weekend.
Augusta, GA
#BGETEAMGREEN member
MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Using the gasket that came with my SmokeWare made a tight fit for me. I prefer to place the gasket inside on the cap itself and not on the neck of the dome. Since I bought my cap nearly 3 years ago I have never even once gone back to the daisy. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I have the Smokeware Cap on my Large and I have no issues going low and slow or controlling temps.  I have no complaints and I like it.  I've really only needed it maybe once or twice for overnight cooks when rain popped up so I'm not sure I need it but it's on there now and works great.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    When you get right down to the nitty gritty, it's personal preference.  You're taking a $40 gamble.  I like mine.  You have to use it a bit to "learn it".   It doesn't take long.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Since one can snuff out the fire with a Smokeware cap, there should be no problems maintaining low-n-slow temps with the cap.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Since one can snuff out the fire with a Smokeware cap, there should be no problems maintaining low-n-slow temps with the cap.

no issues snuffing out the fire?  Some of the negative reviews mentioned increased lump usage due to not being able to quickly snuff out the fire.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    No issues. Ran 210 grid all night last Saturday. Snuffs out no problem. Especially after it builds up a little gunk. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Like mine, all of the reasons above.  I was daisy wheel challenged.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @chrisc133 ... the Smokeware cap, like the Daisy Wheel, has moving parts to provide variable size openings.  The moving parts have to have clearances or they would freeze up with the grease and other gunk that passes through.  When both units are closed there is some air leakage due to those clearances.  How much leakage depends on the tolerance stack-up in your particular unit.  BGE provides a ceramic cap to alleviate any leakage.  Smokeware is coming out with a lid to provide the same positive sealing as the ceramic cap.

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    My daisy wheel and ceramic top are still sealed int eh original box after I transferred the Smokeware cap from my MBGE to the LBGE.    Never looked back on it   Love mine
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Love mine, especially like not having to worry if it's raining out.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • carwash66
    carwash66 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi guys. Been lurking on the forum a long time. For the past 25 years have used the ceramic lids. Bought the daisy wheels for both eggs (lg & med). Tried, but like the original lid better. Maybe just old habits. Will give the Smokeware a look Sat. at Eggfest. Thanks for all the great info here. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    The Smokeware Cap sure is pretty ... other than that, the BGE Daisy Wheel has given me no problems. I'll keep using it.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I love my smokeware , no problem maintaining low temps. I still use the ceramic cap to snuff the fire.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    My daisy wheel and ceramic top are still sealed int eh original box after I transferred the Smokeware cap from my MBGE to the LBGE.    Never looked back on it   Love mine
    My dealer switched out the Daisy Wheel for a Smokeware cap when I bought my second egg.  That saved me some money and it was a deal for him also.  Then my son made the same deal on his second egg.  Turns out that the Daisy Wheel breaks if dropped (dah) ... he sells a number of them through out the year.

• dblalock1030
    Options
    @chrisc133 ... the Smokeware cap, like the Daisy Wheel, has moving parts to provide variable size openings.  The moving parts have to have clearances or they would freeze up with the grease and other gunk that passes through.  When both units are closed there is some air leakage due to those clearances.  How much leakage depends on the tolerance stack-up in your particular unit.  BGE provides a ceramic cap to alleviate any leakage.  Smokeware is coming out with a lid to provide the same positive sealing as the ceramic cap.

Any more information on this positive sealing Smokeware cap that is similar to the ceramic cap? 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

• Jeepster47
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @dblalock1030 ... just to be clear, the function is similar to the ceramic cap, not the form.  In use, you'd lift up the top half, drop the lid into the bottom half of the cap, and then replace the top half.

Here's a thread showing what the prototype looks like: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180306/put-a-lid-on-it-ii#P1

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Get one. Wish they made one for the mini...
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @fence0407 ... when Matt sent me the prototype lid, he mentioned that he has an adapter being tested by someone right now.  The cost of tooling to manufacture the cap is prohibitive, so no custom sized cap for the MM and the small.  Don't know timing or anything like that, but I'd guess before the end of the year.

Matt is supposed to attend the North GA Mountain Eggfest this weekend ... go bug him to hurry up.

• chrisc133
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    I have the Smokeware Cap on my Large and I have no issues going low and slow or controlling temps.  I have no complaints and I like it.  I've really only needed it maybe once or twice for overnight cooks when rain popped up so I'm not sure I need it but it's on there now and works great.
    I probably will pick one up--it's really not that expensive of an investment.  

I'll be doing my cooks on the back deck--but when it rains, do you see any problems with rolling it onto the screened in porch for a low and slow?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No need for a top unless you're doing low and slows.  You can control the temp from the bottom vent for anything 275+.  The only time I use the daisy wheel is for low and slow cooks and for smoke flavor.  Otherwise I find the top pointless  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @chrisc133 ... why move it out of the rain?  That it's rainproof is one of the neat features of the cap.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    @fence0407 ... when Matt sent me the prototype lid, he mentioned that he has an adapter being tested by someone right now.  The cost of tooling to manufacture the cap is prohibitive, so no custom sized cap for the MM and the small.  Don't know timing or anything like that, but I'd guess before the end of the year.

Matt is supposed to attend the North GA Mountain Eggfest this weekend ... go bug him to hurry up.
    Nice! I bugged him a little at last year's fest, but won't be there this year. In all reality, the mini doesn't really need a cap of any sort. As @Mickey can attest to, most temp control can be done by using the bottom vent only. I would however buy one for the mini bc it'd look cool next to my large egg.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• chrisc133
    Options
    @chrisc133 ... why move it out of the rain?  That it's rainproof is one of the neat features of the cap.
    With the daisy wheel I mean...until the cap comes in.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I didn't even get the daisy wheel from my dealer for my medium.  just got the smokeware.  Have it on both my eggs.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options

do you see any problems with rolling it onto the screened in porch for a low and slow?
    I know people do it, but why take the risk of something catching on fire - as it has happened! Besides you're not made of sugar are you? Then you won't melt in the rain! :)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    My dealer switched out the Daisy Wheel for a Smokeware cap when I bought my second egg.  That saved me some money and it was a deal for him also.  Then my son made the same deal on his second egg.  Turns out that the Daisy Wheel breaks if dropped (dah) ... he sells a number of them through out the year.
    Interesting, my dealer said that their distributor limits what  non BGE stuff for the Egg they can sell.  I told them about it, but they said BGE and their distributor wouldn't allow them too.  I think this may be on my list for my birthday this summer.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    Options

Interesting, my dealer said that their distributor limits what  non BGE stuff for the Egg they can sell.  I told them about it, but they said BGE and their distributor wouldn't allow them too.  
    Me thinks your dealer has a control clown as a distributor! If it was MY store I would sell what I wanted to! 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have not used either Daisy Wheel or Ceramic Cap since I got my Smokeware last year.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    RRP said:

Interesting, my dealer said that their distributor limits what  non BGE stuff for the Egg they can sell.  I told them about it, but they said BGE and their distributor wouldn't allow them too.  
    Me thinks your dealer has a control clown as a distributor! If it was MY store I would sell what I wanted to! 
    Unless of course if BGE told the dealer of the arrangement and would pull their dealership if violated.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    carwash66 said:
    Hi guys. Been lurking on the forum a long time. For the past 25 years have used the ceramic lids. Bought the daisy wheels for both eggs (lg & med). Tried, but like the original lid better. Maybe just old habits. Will give the Smokeware a look Sat. at Eggfest. Thanks for all the great info here. 
    Please call me 254.630.8399
    mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.