Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Options

Options
Last night @WeberWho? started a discussion (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180799/cgs-indirect-or-plate-setter#P1) asking; "Spider and stone or plate setter?"

During the discussion several ideas came up that are a little off the wall or out of the box depending upon your point of view.  One of those concerned the advantage of the oval stone to provide a shadow for long cuts of meat.  CGS provides a triangular PSWoo platform to support different stones on a PSWoo.  However here's a poor man's solution ... in this case it's a CGS AR cross bar laid between two of the loops.  The third loop and the cross bar provides enough support for a 15"x 17" oval stone and allows it to be removed as a unit with the PSWoo.

Also, if you have a spider, then you could fabricate an oval stone out of a 15" diameter round stone.  Here's what it would look like installed on the spider.  I thought a notch would be necessary, but simply sliding the spider over to one edge allows the oval stone to be centered in the fire ring.  This picture shows the spider down in the notches, but it could easily be raised up to the flats to allow for more lump in the egg.

I though a spider supported oval stone could be cut from a "broken" large plate setter, but it turns out the plate setter is too small.  Maybe an XL plate setter would work.  Here is my cardboard template under my large BGE plate setter.

In WeberWho?'s thread @nolaegghead mentioned that he has a 16" diameter steel plate that he lays inside his plate setter to increase the size of the shadow.  That suggests that any of the above "stones" could simply be cut out of steel plate.  For a large egg the weight isn't too bad ... starts to get a little unwieldy for an XL.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max