Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Quest

Options

Did a few pizzas last night and baked a loaf of GF bread this morning. I discovered it is possible to get a pizza too high in the dome. My first attempt was on top of a pizza stone on top of a couple of fire bricks on top of the stock grill on top of the AR at 550F. So a very raised direct cook. I knew I was in trouble when I saw boiling liquid accumulating at the ring on the outside, as it slid down the dome. I evidently had created a mini-weather system where liquids from the pizza were evaporating through the top of the dome, cooling in the outside air and then raining down the outside of the dome. The top of the pizza was well-done but the crust was not.

The next couple of pies were cooked after I got rid of the fire bricks, so basically a raised direct with the pizza stone on the grill on top of the AR. Pizza pay-dirt this time. Perfect thin crust (micro-thin on the bottom, thick on the edges) and perfectly cooked toppings. I used a prepared dough for the first time -- Stephano's pizza dough, which I found after someone mentioned it here, and which is readily available at Kroger stores -- and it came out perfect, with bubbles and air pockets and chewy crustiness.

The bread is made with Pamela's gluten-free pizza crust mix, raised direct on a pizza stone at 475F. If you have someone in your family who has celiac disease or a gluten allergy and cries whenever she remembers French bread, this is the closest I've found yet.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

Comments