Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish Stone for a medium

Options
Two months into the BGE cooking experience here in Columbia South Carolina.....fairly new poster as well.

I am in process of becoming one with my new egg, and enjoying it so far. I have a question regarding an accessory not currently available to my size. I get that BGE does not offer a deep dish stone for the smaller eggs, but wondered if any of you might have an after market or alternative site to find one that would fit. Also, interested in understanding from those with larger eggs (who have the DDS), your satisfaction with this accessory. I would use for deep dish pizza, Quiche, and perhaps some fruit pies. Are there other meals you have attained success with using the dish stone?

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Two months into the BGE cooking experience here in Columbia South Carolina.....fairly new poster as well.

I am in process of becoming one with my new egg, and enjoying it so far. I have a question regarding an accessory not currently available to my size. I get that BGE does not offer a deep dish stone for the smaller eggs, but wondered if any of you might have an after market or alternative site to find one that would fit. Also, interested in understanding from those with larger eggs (who have the DDS), your satisfaction with this accessory. I would use for deep dish pizza, Quiche, and perhaps some fruit pies. Are there other meals you have attained success with using the dish stone?

I am not sure if there is a smaller one or not.  I got one for Christmas for my XL that I haven't used it yet.  You may look into Ramekins.  They may work as long you are aren't going to high on the heat.   Good luck.  I need to use mine.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and bypass the thought of a deep dish stone and go with a cast iron skillet. They are way more versatile. The skillet will do all of the mentioned above and anything else you can throw at it. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    ^^what he said^^

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Most pie dishes have been 8-9". There are some 10" out there as well. The BGE deep dish stone is 14". That makes for some large pie slices. :smiley: 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and bypass the thought of a deep dish stone and go with a cast iron skillet. They are way more versatile. The skillet will do all of the mentioned above and anything else you can throw at it. 
    +1 on this.  Another option might be a CI Pie pan.  

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-True-Seasoned-CIPIE10/dp/B000OXAQ6G

This one is a little on the small side but you get the idea...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For my deep dish pizza, I use a heavy 9" Chicago Metallic cake pan. Works wonderfully on my egg or in my oven. About $10 at Home Goods. You can buy similar pans from 8 to 14".

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I have nothing to add to the deep dish conversation that hasn't been already said.
    I just wanted to compliment you and let you know I like your avatar! 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks Trey......its been a long strange trip!

• TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    See you in Chicago on the 4th!
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I wish....daughter getting married during this set of shows. I don't think I can play the card ......you will get married many times but i will only be able to see the last shows once.

• TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    LOL. I'm not sure that would go over well.
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/