Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chickens

Options
Bentgrass
Bentgrass Posts: 443
This week I took a vacation away from my new BGE to visit my daughter and grand babies.  I got hooked reading the posts about doing chickens this way and decided to give it a try on his gas grill.  Please don't chastise me for use of this device, it is all I had to work with !  Got 2 whole chickens from Costco, used their no sodium ( I have to watch my intake) one one and pepper with a little oregano on the other.  They were phenomenal ! 

1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I still use a gas grill too.  No harm. I can't wait to try a whole chicken, butterflied. 

I'm a fellow hawkeye, btw. Go Hawks!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've done several spatches on the gasser at my folks place. They still come out juicy but the skin is never as crispy as on an egg. 

I I never judge a man (or woman) who cooks a delicious meal on what's available.  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Welcome aboard @Bentgrass.  As far as the gasser goes, we all do what we have to to survive. Lol 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Looking forward to doing one on the egg- so far have had some success and a couple failures, but enjoying the adventures trying new things.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    So Bentgrass, where do you live? Nice avatar.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    A little trick. The moist environment in the egg makes crisp skin difficult. If you like the skin crisp, sprinkle a little corn starch on the chicken prior to cooking or mix some in with your rub. A little goes a long way and the results are shockingly good. Welcome. 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Thanks ! I did rub on olive oil before putting on spices.  Took a picture but can't figure out how to add to my post !
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hit that icon that is a black page with the edge folded. Pretty straight forward from there. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Did my first spatchcock on my Egg yesterday. A little OV coat, and a spice rub. 400 over the plate setter until the breast hit 160.

The skin was nice and crisp and the bird was moist. It tasted great. This is will now be my go-to method for whole chickens. :)  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
      They were phenomenal ! 

That's all that counts.  :) 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looks good! Doing a spatchcock as we we speak...oops type. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"