Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awful Sweetbreads

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
Beef, Veal, Sweetbreads, Richard Fl. 

Every couple of years I get a craving for sweetbreads, usually veal. I know that this dish is not for most, but I do not like green bell peppers. Each his own. Hope a few of you enjoy! 

INGREDIENTS: 
The ingredients are listed in the link plus a few modifications I did. I used a few leeks as there are no ramps around here eggcept for boats on the water. 
This sauce is great on steak. 

1. Took a pound of veal sweetbreads and soaked for a day and then parboiled for 4 minutes, removed as much of membrane as possible, then pressed under a metal fajita pan between paper towels overnight in the frig. 

2. Sliced the sweet breads into medium thickness, about 1/4" and added to hot cast iron pan with butter, little olive oil S & P. Tossed around for about 5 minutes. 

3. This sauce is to die for over steaks or whatever. 

4. Sauce, Beef, Steak, Ramp, Morel, Cognac Cream Sauce, Hoss's BBQ 

5. http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1103259&catid=1 

6. I changed it up slightly by adding 1/3 cup rehydrated (in red wine) morel mushrooms, couple Tbs small whole capers and 3 Tbs cream cheese. 

7. The morel shrooms were a trade out for seasonings from fellow egger Jon Stahl in Alaska. Thanks John. 

8. Served over toast tips. 

9. Had couscous and yellow squash/onions as side dishes. 

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Richard Melbooooring Fl. 

IF YOU WANT TO DRINK ALL DAY, YOU HAVE TO START IN THE MORNING!! 

Click here to see the profile of this user    reply | quote | edit

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Richard, your post title is redundant. :lol: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    that looks offal. =) never had them but if they taste anything like liver they dont go down the pipes. i would give it a shot with that sauce though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    that looks offal. =) never had them but if they taste anything like liver they dont go down the pipes. i would give it a shot with that sauce though

They really have no flavor or texture.  However you might like the steak sauce on beef.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work, Hannibal
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Sweetbreads are fantastic. Why is this awful?