Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Barbecue in Virginia?

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
I know, it's not a topic often discussed, outside of Virginia anyway, but humor me, please. On my next visit to Mom's, I want to take a short road trip with the old girl if I can find a promising Q joint. She would probably prefer a nice pork sammich, but I wouldn't mind trying some good beef or even chicken if it's done right. Was just doing some research on places within a reasonable distance of her house and found a few. 

Has anyone eaten at King's Famous Barbecue in Petersburg? I saw some good reviews, but also a few not so good ones mixed in. 

I also came across a glorified roadside stand in Petersburg called Saucy's. Made out of a converted shipping container. Take out only. Picked by Southern Living as one of the top 20 pork bbq places in the south. The whole SOUTH! Why am I suspicious? And to think, many southerners don't even consider Virginia to be a part of the south!! LOL

Allman's in Fredericksburg is probably the closest, but it ain't what it used to be. Back in the day, they made some outstanding pork barbecue, even if it is way up north. :) When the owner retired and sold the business, it was never the same. Besides, we've both been there.

I've been to Pierce's Pitt Barbecue in Williamsburg a few times too and like their pork quite a lot. About the same distance, but I've never been to King's or Saucy's so I'm leaning in that direction.

Then again, I just clicked on one more link and found a place called The BBQ Exchange, in Gordonsville of all places! Never heard of the restaurant, though I've been thru Gordonsville many times. It sounds promising, and they even have brisket so I could try some besides my own! Who knows, I might even LIKE it! Unless I have to wait in line in which case, I'm out.

Anyone tried any of these? Or have any recommendations within the Petersburg - Charlottesville - Williamsburg areas?

Thanks!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I like Pierce's but haven't tried any others. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina Q
    Well, I think I'm taking Mom to Gordonsville next time I'm down that way. It's a beautiful drive... mostly two lane backroads, no traffic, no interstate. Plus, it's too intriguing not to check this place out. 

I just found an article about the owner of The Barbecue Exchange. It seems he is rather an institution in Charlottesville (20 miles away) and is, in fact, a CIA trained chef! After 30 some years of that, he decided to follow his dream and open a Q joint. In Gordonsville!! Pretty cool, I say! Don't know what a fine dining chef knows about Q, but I intend to find out. :) Unless I hear some better ideas. Might even try his brisket!

Article about Chef Craig Hartman HERE. And The Barbecue Exchange MENU

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Try smokin' Joe's in Yorktown. They have the best bbq of all the places I've tried in virginia.  County Grill in Newport news has grest brisket.   Their pork is good but not in the same league as smokin joes.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Carolina Q
    shucker said:
    Try smokin' Joe's in Yorktown. They have the best bbq of all the places I've tried in virginia.  County Grill in Newport news has grest brisket.   Their pork is good but not in the same league as smokin joes.
    Thanks. From a fellow Pirate. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Tuffy Stone's Q Barbecue in Richmond is very good.   I also recommend Dixie Bone's in Fredericksburg.  They had some of the best collards I have ever eaten.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    been to pierce's a few times too while staying at great wolf lodge.  that is hard to beat.
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    +1 on smokin joes in Yorktown.

also smoke in Newport News and Buz and Ned's in Richmond
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA