Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Boil

Options
I am doing a shrimp boil on Saturday for my son's first birthday.  My wife has decided it's a Pirate theme, so that's what I have come up with for food.

Any cooking tips?

Comments

• Mckeanksu
    Mckeanksu Posts: 21
    Options

I am using a version of this for ingredients, but am looking for a different cooking method.  I would like to get some smoke flavoring

INGREDIENTS

4 quarts water (16 cups)

1 can (12 ounces) beer (optional)

1/2 cup OLD BAY® Seasoning

2 tablespoons salt

8 medium red potatoes, quartered

2 large onions, cut into wedges

2 pounds lean smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces

8 ears fresh corn, shucked and halved crosswise

4 pounds unpeeled jumbo shrimp (21 to 25 count)

DIRECTIONS

Bring water, beer, OLD BAY Seasoning and salt to boil in 12-quart stockpot on high heat. Add potatoes and onions. Cook 8 minutes. Add smoked sausage. Cook 5 minutes. Add corn. Cook 7 minutes.

Stir in shrimp. Cook 4 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.

Drain cooking liquid. Pour contents of pot into large serving bowl or platter. Or, mound on paper-covered table. Sprinkle with additional OLD BAY Seasoning, if desired.

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Definitely multiply the beer by 24 :joy: 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Consider using Zataran's boil seasoning - I like the liquid over the powder.  There are a bunch of recipes on line but this is the most popular boil seasoning down in South Louisiana. You can add lemons and vegetables.  It's important you don't over cook them or they'll be hard to peel.
    Options
    +1 Don't Overcook the shrimp or they're hard to peel and they'll be tough and rubbery. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    You may add a few lemons, just squze juice out and drop the lemons in the pot.
  • bcrombie
    bcrombie Posts: 12
    Options
    I would add the Shrimp then take the pot off of the heat for 15-20 minutes and let it all soak and absorb the flavor. This will also cook the shrimp.