Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it ok to FTC a couple spatchcock chickens?

Options
I might be going to a potluck on the weekend, and am not sure what to bring.  It's about a 2 hour drive, and there's a possibility of a stop or two for beers on the way there so it could be 3 hours before I get there.  Also now that I think about it, who nows how long after I get there until we actually eat….

Starting to sound like a bad idea to me.  What say you??

If not the spatch, what else could I take?
Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Spatchcock skin will be pretty limp. Pulled pork or brisket will more than survive in a cooler. Ribs also.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    How about pulled pork? You could always cook it turbo then FTC on the way. Hopefully some more experienced folks will chime in in a min. Good luck

-Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not any different from bringing one of those Sam's or Costco rotisserie chickens home.  I wouldn't wrap it tight, put it in a container so it can breathe.  The skin will not be crispy.
    Options
     I agree on not doing chicken.  Chicken is best when it just achieves doneness.
    From there on, it is all down hill.

And for me, if i was going to a potluck that far away, I would stick with bringing a cold dish or buying something once I got there, or show up 6 hours early and smoke some ribs on-site.

I've taken my electric smoker places and have used it to make ribs on-site for a potluck.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've done it, the skin sucked.  If you wanted to do skinless, it would ride. 
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    If you must bring chicken, bring a small grill to crisp the skin as you reheat just prior to serving.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    agreed the skin will be pure rubber.  Also may run into a dry bird....if you want to do chicken I'd say pull it off the bone and reheat in some BBQ sauce.   I'd say do a turbo butt.  I've wrapped them for a few hours with no issues.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Keep in mind you need to keep it above 140 the whole time. If you finish it at 165 I'm not sure how hard it will be to maintain that temp. Ribs or pork butt that finish at 200 have a lot more buffer. 

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/danger-zone-40-f-140-f/ct_index
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    DID SOMEONE SAY DANGER ZONE?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

PS - Those USDA guidelines are extremely conservative.  If you let that chicken cool down to 120 you're fine.  As long as you don't rub dirt into it, it starts off fairly sterile.

Options
    I did it for about two hours in a prewarmed cheapo cooler.  It wasn't dry, just rubbery skin. Mil said best grilled chicken she'd had  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, the meat is fine after 2 or 3 hours, keep it warm.  If it's dry, you overcooked it to start with.  Get one of those $18 Harbor Freight weed burners and blast 'em before you serve.  It will kill the danger zone bugs on the salty cured outside of the meat too.
    Options
    Some good advice as always.  I'm starting to think maybe I'll try my first turbo butt.  A little apprehensive though, neither of the two butts I've done have knocked my socks off.  I haven't mastered the finishing yet.  I'm thinking next time I'll dump more or less an entire bottle of bbq sauce in with the pulled meat and really sauce it up.  The first two have been somewhat bland.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Try finishing sauce.  For pulled butts.  Look it up, but it's basically a variant of NC BBQ sauce.
    Options
    Instead of dumping a bottle of sauce on it and making it all gooey, cut some sauce 50/50 with cider vinegar and add that.  It will stay moist and get some great flavor.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    I'll check it out, thanks.  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
     @noregard   ..  Based on your description, you will need to plan to hold the chicken hot for up to 5 hours after pulling from the grill (2hrs driving, 1hr at bar and 2hrs from arrival until serving). You should also assume that it will sit out at room temperature at the potluck for another 1-2 hours.  I doubt it will stay at temperatures that meet food safety guidelines.  Even if you are willing to take on the increased risk for yourself, are you willing to serve it to others? Will you inform the others at the potluck of the increased risk?  

I think your assessment of "
    Starting to sound like a bad idea to me" is correct.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    I've decided to scrap the entire pre cook idea and plan to load up my motorcycle (supposed to rain, yay) with a box of beer, a bottle of whiskey, and 8 links of my venison sausage to cook there.  (on a gas grill….shudder.) My poor sausage.    

Thanks for all the tips, especially @nolaegghead   ;)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sounds like fun. What kind of bike?   I love death machines!  Wish this cursed rain would stop so I can go into the country.
    Options
    I've taken bone-in skinless thighs that way.  Pulled them there for sandwiches right before serving.  Had no issues.  No one got sick either.  Just my thoughts for next time since you are taking sausage.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    @nolaegghead , here she is

Ha, I wish.  Actually it's an '03 Shadow Sabre-1100.