Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

London broil: how low and how slow?

Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
edited 4:33PM in EggHead Forum
Following a variety of great tips, I cooked a London broil at 300 for one hour last night, to an internal temperature of 130. I let it rest 10 minutes before slicing it thinly. This was the juiciest and tenderest medium-rare London broil I ever ate, but that doesn't mean that it was as tender as filet mignon. Let's be honest: I eat London broil because it is so lean, but that means that it is not as tender as steak.[p]Here's my question: if 300 for one hour produces a much better London broil than 350 for 10 minutes a side, then what about 275 for 90 minutes? 250 for two hours? 200 for four hours??[p]

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Prof Dan,
    Low and slow is good for pieces of meat with collagen that needs to be broken down. The collagen is converted to gelatin and this is what keeps the meat moist and why you can cook it to temperatures like 180 to 200 degrees. If you cook a piece of meat without collagen low and slow, you will end up drying it out.

The Naked Whiz
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 154
    Prof Dan,[p]The Baltimore Sun recently did a thing on real low and slow - I have tried it in a regular over (before I had my egg) - I did a london broil at 200 degrees (just under 4 hours) to a temp of 130 then a 10 min rest - it was far more tender then the ones i usually did at 325.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 154
    Naked whiz is correct though - it was NOT as juicy - even with a pan of water in with it - but it was not totally dry either...