Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Neighborhood "Eggfest"

Options
I live in a large neighborhood with a lot of eggheads. We have a group of 10 that actively cook. We want to have our own "Eggfest", but given the logistics of a BGE, we can't all cook together like a true Eggfest. We are looking for ideas.  One idea was to have a progressive dinner, where each participant cook a piece of the dinner and we go from home to home. Another idea would be to rent the clubhouse and have everyone bring their cook and share with the participants. With the clubhouse option, we could open it up to a wider group including those non-eggheads. If anyone has some ideas, please share. 
LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    How spread out is the group? The progressive idea going to 10 homes would be a PITA, but maybe 4 locations instead of 10? Surely some of you live close enough to pull your egg next door or down the street.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    10 Eggs, 10 homes. Sounds like 10 parties. Should get you through the summer.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I'm super jealous of your predicament!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Hotch said:
    10 Eggs, 10 homes. Sounds like 10 parties. Should get you through the summer.
    I'm with Hotch, what better excuse for a party, than good friends and good eats! 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @jabam We cook for hundreds at the Eggfests. So cooking for 20 or so at the house is as easy as getting a PBR from @henapple 's cooler.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I'm sure it is. An egg fest is on my bucket list!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Sounds like fun. Not sure about the progressive dinner. Sounds like there would be a lot of unattended eggs.  I like the clubhouse idea. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    That is exactly how our Eggfest started, me a few other local Eggers were going to simply get together and have our own Eggfest.  We did advertise this humble event on the BGE forum and before we knew it we had 120 plus registered to attend.  We are now in our 10th year and have cautiously expanded to now 600 attendees and 30 cooks.    I would think finding a central venue is a great way to start, get a local dealer involved. Maybe next year you won't have to schlep all the Egg and he can sell "Demo Eggs" that can be used. Go for it and have fun.

I'm happy to help you if you have any questions, about getting this started.

Smitty
    BGE@EggsbytheBay.com

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    That is exactly how our Eggfest started, me a few other local Eggers were going to simply get together and have our own Eggfest.  We did advertise this humble event on the BGE forum and before we knew it we had 120 plus registered to attend.  We are now in our 10th year and have cautiously expanded to now 600 attendees and 30 cooks.    I would think finding a central venue is a great way to start, get a local dealer involved. Maybe next year you won't have to schlep all the Egg and he can sell "Demo Eggs" that can be used. Go for it and have fun.

I'm happy to help you if you have any questions, about getting this started.

Smitty
    BGE@EggsbytheBay.com
    Sounds like the upcoming mid-tenn fest ( @henapple hoedown) except instead of a neighborhood, it's Michigan, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee ...

We're bringing our eggs 100s of miles, surely you guys can figure it out. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sounds like fun. Not sure about the progressive dinner. Sounds like there would be a lot of unattended eggs.  I like the clubhouse idea. 
    I was thinking the same thing.  The progressive thing creates some logistical issues.  The person cooking "next" would likely have to leave the current course early to go light the egg- or leave the egg cooking unattended. 

Just my $.02 but I would be more inclined to move a few eggs to a central location like the clubhouse.  People could still cook at home and bring food, but it would be nice to have some eggs on site as well.  Some dishes are easy to keep warm and transport but other things are better served hot off the egg. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    If there is a cul de sac that can be commandeered, I say park everyone's cars out of the cul de sac, block the entrance, and have a gathering around a few eggs in the middle of it. You won't need 10 eggs, maybe bring the 5 closest to the egg, and folks can share. 

Are there any homes for sale in your neighborhood. I'm very tempted to move ! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not that I've ever done this before, but move a few eggs to whatever you think is the best location and have everyone bring "their" dish and share the eggs.  If anyone needs an egg for a long period of time, have them pre-cook their stuff on their own egg and bring it over.  Make sexy party time. 
    You have just given me an idea for my neighborhood. And for that,  I thank you.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    Options
    Some great ideas here, especially those associated with multiple parties. Maybe we should just drag this out for 10 weeks.  This method wouldn't leave any smokers unattended!
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Small trailer and some helping hands to temporarily relocate to a central party zone. Boom!  Sounds like a freaking blast!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL