Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New To The Egg

Options
I have recently purchased the XL, and couldn't be happier!  My issue is maintaining the heat consistantly throughout the cook.  I feel the XL requires more charcoal during the cook to maintain proper heat.  Anyone have any thoughts as to heat and tempeture regulation?  I welcome your responses!

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,204
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What do you mean by more charcoal during the cook?

What temp, duration, daisy wheel, and lower vent settings?  Also how much lump and what brand are you using?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    First off Welcome, you've come to the right place.  The amount of lump needed is dependent on length of the cook.  As a fairly new user I've found that it's best to experiment with an empty cook and play with adjusting your temps with the daisy wheel and the bottom vent.  There's all kinds of youtubs out there on getting the temps right.

You'll certainly enjoy the journey.  I'm sure some of the experts here will chime in.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Congrats on the new Egg, welcome.  Lets see some cooks!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options

Welcome aboard!

Don't worry about how much charcoal you need for a cook. Just fill it up with lump and light it up. After you're done cooking, close the bottom vent and put the ceramic cap on, and let it snuff out. You'll have plenty of lump left for the next cook.

In the beginning, light up the egg with no food inside, grab a few beverages and just play around with vent settings. You'll get the hang of what settings are needed for different temps, and you'll be off to the races!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. You will love your x large . You will get the hang of it in no time. Cook and pictures.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,534
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Welcome to the cult, experience and some experiments will help. It's easier to bring the temps up than trying to get them down. A hot egg will stay that way for least 2 or ? beers.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome and have cooking the learning  curve is fun 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Welcome and filler up!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,735
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Looking good! Standing by for the taste test....
    GWN
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Dont scrimp on the lump, and let it go long enough to get the ceramics heated up, that will help keep it stable. Welcome to the nuthouse.