Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Guage Question

Options
gfavor
gfavor Posts: 74
Has anyone tried this temp gauge; Tel-Tru BQ300 Barbecue Thermometer, 3 inch glow dial with zones, 4 inch stem, 100/500 degrees F.  If so, what's your opinion.  Will it fit the Large BGE?

See: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001L4GTEK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1MLS68KIXYXZZ&coliid=I3QT702375U0CV

AmazingRibs.com referred to it. Wanted your thoughts.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Says it requires a 7/8" hole!! That kills it for the egg anyway. Plus it only goes to 500*. Not to mention the $70 price tag. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Options
    Yes, it is Expensive.  AND good catch on the 7/8" hole and the max temp. That's why I reach out to you guys.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The 7/8" diameter hole is for a permanent mount over the screw threads.  However, the conclusion is still the same since the stem is 1/4" in diameter ... too large for a green egg hole.  Plus, as Michael mentioned, it only goes to 500 degrees and it costs too much.

If you want a 3" diameter dial, take a look at Smokeware's thermo.  I've been using one for the last two months.  I like the size, and thus, the visibility out the basement window when the temps are below freezing.  Also, the pointer is rather large, which helps with the visibility issue.  Don't like that they've pasted "SMOKE", "BBQ", GRILL" right over the temperature marks ... should have shot the layout artist.  The accuracy is acceptable and the price is right.

I understand that BGE has a 3" diameter thermo, but I can't find one on the internet or in a store.  Maybe a forum member/dealer can help.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Check with your local BGE dealer. Mine had the larger dial thermo in stock.  The thermo on the left is the standard BGE thermo, the middle is the new large BGE thermo, and the right is a Tel-Tru high temp thermo.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    I have the one from Smokeware that I like and it has the shorter stem.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Here's the Smokeware thermo for comparison:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I really don't see the need for an oversized dial or for the color coding. I removed the spring clip long ago and just turn it so my target temp is straight up. Even from some distance, I can tell how it's doing. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Lately, I have been sticking one of the probes from my iGrill2 in the dome hole. Don't even need to see the egg to tell the temp.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.