Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Ribs can you cook on LBGE with adjustable rig?

Options
I've looked at posts where most people seem to cook at most 6 racks of baby backs with a rig.  Saw another where someone posted they can do 9 or more.  So how many have you actually cooked at once using an adjustable rig and how did they turn out?  I'm probably going to be buying one soon and the answers here will help me decide to or not.

Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    It all depends if you want to lay them flat or stand them up. Laying them flat you can do 6 no problem, if you stand them up and use a couple of rib racks, best guess is that you can do 12 - 16.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I think the most I've done is 4, but you could easily do 6 or 8, and possibly 10, with some creativity.

You would need the oval stone and spider (to free up the bottom shelf), and you would need to buy some extra grids (presumably D-grids) to make sure you have a grid for every level, and you would want the rig extender as well.

So that would be 2 racks on each of the first 2 levels, 3 on the top level of the AR and 3 on the rig extender.  It would be a tight fit, but I bet you could do it.

It would be easier if you were willing to cut them.
    NOLA
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Awesome.  Anyone have any pics with more than 6?
    Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I did 8 once laying flat, but dont have any pics to prove it so i guess it didnt really happen. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• fiver29
    Options
    Pics aren't a complete necessity. What was your setup for 8? I'm just trying to think how this would work. How did they turn out? Times and Temps?

Thanks! 
    Strongsville, Ohio

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Meh,  just buy the darn thing...  Large Slide Guide w/ Crossbar & 13"x17" Oval Stainless Grid  are fun   get several  :-)   It's like a man's erector set.   Add the extender  & a spyder & THAT 13" stone  & you're almost building a rib slab city like the ol Sim City game.      Next,  I'm adding a stadium...    <<<  See I'm a bit nuts. I'm about to add  the extender  & the spyder/small 13 stone etc  and I typically only cook for two  LOL   For OP,  their site discusses max # o ribs  or you can call Tom at CGS.    You might wanna start modest with the R&B combo though  & build up  to max qty
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options

I pasted below  from CGS  site as links seem to be frowned on

(hope it's ok to paste,  again this is from Tom's Ceramic Grill Store site

The most common three grid cook is ribs.  Other foods can be cooked on three grids but they need to fit the approximately 2.75" spacing between grids.

What you need: Adjustable Rig, Rig Extender, 2 Slide Guides, 3 Oval Grids, Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone and 13.5" round Stainless Drip Pan

Key points on this set-up are:

• You need a work area outside the cooker.
    • The Adjustable Rig acts as the “work” platform for the three Oval Grids.
    • The Spider holds the indirect piece(s): 13" Stone and 14" Drip Pan.
    • You can work the upper two grids without removing the Rig.
    • To work the lowest grid, the Adjustable Rig must be removed from the cooker.
    • There is approximately 2.75" of space between grids.

The three grid set-up is similar to two grids except you need to add one more Slide Guide and Oval Grid.  Also, you need the Large Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone and 14" Stainless Drip Pan as they create the indirect set-up.  The Oval Stone and Foil Ring do not work with three grids.  The third grid sits at Level 1.5, same Level where the Oval Stone sits on 2 grid cooks.

The next couple Sections (Ribs on the Sliding Grids & Recommendations on Sliding) have some helpful pointers with three grids cooks.

It is possible to set-up four grids with three sliding.  Honestly, we don’t see much use for this set-up unless you are a fan of jerky.

Ribs on the Sliding Grids:

As mentioned earlier, we designed the sliding grids to slow smoke pork ribs.  A typical pork rack has 11-14 bones and runs up to 18" in length.  At 17.5" long, the Oval Grid is long enough to handle most racks.  The load capacity per set-up is highlighted in the chart below.  Fitting St. Louis style ribs depends on trim width but most cuts should go two racks per grid.

# of Racks per Cook Spare Ribs Loin (Baby) Back St. Louis
    Two Grids 2 4 2-4
    Three Grids 3 6 3-6

Our preference is quality over quantity.  So even though some folks may outperform the # racks per grid listed, we stick with what's listed.

We like smoking full racks for a couple reasons:

• Maybe it’s just us, but there is something about displaying or handling full racks that half slabs just can’t match.  Maybe it’s the way a full rack dwarfs a dinner plate.  Or, maybe it is how a full rack handles or hangs from the tongs.  We’re not sure why but guest anticipation is always greater with full racks vs. half slabs.
    • It is easier to keep up with full racks than twice as many half slabs.  Have you ever wondered with tongs in hand: Hmmm, did I flip/rotate that rack or where did that one (special) rack go?  And, what about filling a grid to capacity only to find when flipping or rotating later, the ribs don’t fit.
    • With foiling, fewer racks mean fewer aluminum sheets.  This means the cooker is open less and mistakes (torn foil, shortage with braising liquids) are less likely to occur.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    Pics aren't a complete necessity. What was your setup for 8? I'm just trying to think how this would work. How did they turn out? Times and Temps?

Thanks! 
    I used the AR with sliding grids plus the rig extender which gave me 4 grids, 2 racks on each grid.  Used the spider and stone for indirect heat.  This setup worked fine as far as space is concerned, but I had to do a lot of rotating racks for even cooking as the racks of ribs in the middle grids were sandwiched so tightly that they didnt get enough heat. I think I ended up rotating every 30-45 minutes and cook time was longer as a result of opening the egg so often.  I cooked them at around 300 degrees but total time I cant quite remember, I want to say around 5-6 hours for baby backs.  I wont say I wouldnt do it again, but I think 8 racks laying flat is a bit much for a large.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Look at some pics in this disussion:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1086171/stacking-ribs
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • fiver29
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!  I've done 10 like the vertical picture in the stacking ribs thread.  I had 8 vertical in a rack and layed 2 flat on top.  It was a lot of work moving them around and all.  But got it done.  I know I can do 6 vertical, but think I like them more when they are flat.  Looks like the best way to do that is the rig.
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    20. No rig. Chel Wil cook, this pic posted by Spring Chicken. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fiver29
    Options
    I'm glad you posted that! I remember seeing it posted years ago. That's definitely too much work!!
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    6 is the most I have done
    Gambrills,Maryland