Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Any homegrown tomato geeks out there?

Options
I have been a full fledged tomato geek since I watched my grandpa churn out hundreds of the delicious fruit. There is nothing better on that cheeseburger than a fat juicy slice of a homegrown tomato.

My favorite varieties are: Cherokee Purple, mortgage lifter, stump of the world, better boy, Park's whopper, and Brandywine.

In my zone (zone 7) I like to give them a head start by potting up and moving them in at night. I won't plant them in the ground til at least April 15. I use only Texas Tomato food as fertilizer, good stuff. My medium is good potting mix, cow manure, mushroom compost, and Stoudt Ollie's Mater Maker. I will get my first ripe tomatoes generally in the second or third week of June, depending on the weather, hotter the better for them.

Laurens,SC